Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I abhor talking ill of someones physical appearance but I have to admit Ina Fried does NOT look like her publicity photo. I thought that the who changed gender thing on her byline was something just being cutesy, but apparently it's true, if Wikipedia is to be believed....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Goddamn this stupid ass Huddler editor....

Apple is a company that doesn't have the resources that everyone else has. We choose what tech horses to ride, we look for tech that has a future and is headed up. Different pieces of tech go in cycles... they have summer and then they go to the grave.

If you choose wisely, you save yourself an enormous amount of work.

We have a history of doing this. The 3 1/2 floppy. We made that popular. We got ride of the floppy altogether in the first iMac. We got rid of serial and parallel ports. You saw USB first in iMacs. We were one of the first to get rid of optical drives, with the MacBook Air. And when we do this, sometimes people call us crazy

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Our goal is really easy -- we just made a tech decision. We aren't going to make an effort to put this on our platform. We told Adobe to show us something better, and they never did. It wasn't until we shipped the iPad that Adobe started to raise a stink about it. We were trying to have a fight, we just decided to not use one of their products. They made a big deal of it -- that's why I wrote that letter. I said enough is enough, we're tired of these guys trashing us.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
6:56PM Walt: In the near future?

Steve: You know I can't comment on that.

Kara: What about going to another carrier?

Walt: Would there be advantages to having two in the US?

Steve: There might be.

As close as a confirmation from Steve as you will ever get.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
7:00PM Steve: I had this idea about having a glass display, a multitouch display you could type on. I asked our people about it. And six months later they came back with this amazing display. And I gave it to one of our really brilliant UI guys. He then got inertial scrolling working and some other things, and I thought, 'my god, we can build a phone with this' and we put the tablet aside, and we went to work on the phone.
6:59PM Walt: So when you built this OS, you did it in a phone. Why? Why not a tablet first.

Steve: I'll tell you. Actually. It started on a tablet first.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
7:16PM Steve: Well let first say we have two platforms we support. One is open and uncontrolled -- that's HTML5. We support HTML5. We have the best support for it of anyone in the world. We then support a curated platform which is the app store. It is the most vital app community on any platform. How do we curate this? It's a bunch of people, and they come into work every day. We have a few rules: has to do what it's advertised to do, it has to not crash, it can't use private APIs. And those are the three biggest reasons we reject apps. But we approve 95% of all the apps that are submitted every week.
7:14PM Walt: Can I talk to you about a somewhat different subject, which is curation? You are a retailer of a lot of content, and of apps. And there's been a lot of controversy about your app store rejecting things, sometimes you backtrack. I don't know of any law that any merchant whether it's you or Walmart that says you have to carry something you don't want to carry. But isn't there responsibility with that? You become big, you have the most apps. You've talked in some things you've written about protecting the consumer... but isn't there a downside of you guys acquiring all this power and you saying no to some cartoonist or some political candidate? Don't you have a problem there?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
7:19PM Steve: We're doing the best we can, we're fixing mistakes. But what happens is -- people lie. And then they run to the press and tell people about this oppression, and they get their 15 minutes of fame. We don't run to the press and say "this guy is a son of a bitch liar!" -- we don't do that.
7:18PM Walt: So what happened with this candidate?

Steve: We had a rule that said you can't defame other people.

Kara: Determined by your app people.

Steve: Yes... and political cartoons got caught in that. We didn't think of that. So this guy submits his app and he gets rejected. We didn't see that coming. So we changed the rule, but this guy never resubmitted... then he wins a Pulitzer Prize, and he says we rejected him. So, we are guilty of making mistakes. We're doing the best we can, we're learning as fast as we can -- but we thought this rule made sense.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is Silicon Valley different when it comes to privacy?

Steve: No, we take privacy really seriously. Take location on phones -- we take this really seriously. Before any app can get location data, they can't just put up a panel asking if it can use location -- they call OUR panel and it asks you if it's okay. That's one of the reasons we have the curated app store. A lot of the people in the Valley think we're old fashioned about this. But we take it seriously.

No real news so far but a fun interview from what I can tell. Can't wait to see the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks