What's new

Job-search Question: Drawbacks of using Headhunters? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm starting the job search now, and I am wondering if there are any drawbacks to using the various resume-posting websites and companies, or to using headhunters? They look like a low-effort, high-reward avenue. But we all know "TANSTAAFL" (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
A little more specifically, my profession is a niche field, with a relatively small community. The bulk of my job searching will be done via friends, colleagues, professional contacts, and talking to company reps at an upcoming conference. In my case, Human Resources at a company is more likely to be helpful than trying to weed me out of the resume pile.
So, are there any negatives to using headhunters and the like? Or things to be careful of, if I do use them? I've searched the web and headhunter/job sites are a dime a dozen. But I can't find any critical information about these potential resources.
I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The only negative I can think of is that headhunters charge your new employer anywhere from 10-30% of your salary as their fee.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I see headhunters as a necessary evil. They are sometimes the best, and many times the only, way to get interviews and offers from companies. Some companies think they do not have the resources to recruit and screen prospective employees, and they would rather pay a headhunter to perform the service.
You need to watch out for unethical headhunters. Some care only about their intial placement fee, with no thought to repeat referrals. They may embellish the truth, making the job seem better than it is, and making you seem like a better employee than you are. This results in an employee not happy with their job, and/or an employer not happy with an employee.
There is also the possibility that you may have been able to get a higher salary if the company did not have to pay the placement fee.
But usually the worst thing about headhunters is the annoying follow-up calls/emails asking how you are doing, and then asking if you know anyone who is looking for a job:)
If you use monster.com you will get lots of unsolicited inquiries from headhunters.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
I totally have to agree with Leo's last statement. I have my resume up at monster and get quite a few unsolicited inquiries. So far that seems to be about the worst of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks