What's new

Job "Salary Requirments"..how to deal with? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Curious what the best approach is to a job posting that states they want your resume with "salary requirements"?

I know at one time I read a good way to respond to this without being passed over during the resume process, but I can't recall how to word it correctly.

I know companies use this to weed out folks who are looking for a bigger salary than the hiring company is willing to pay, but on the flip side, if you list too low of a number, you may be cheating yourself.

Any advise?

Alf

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Is there something wrong with saying "negotiable"?

As in

Salary Requirements: Negotiable

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the book "knock em dead" suggests something like "the most importand things to me are th job itself and the company. What is the salary range for the potision?"
or
"I'm looking for a job and a company to call home. If I am the right candidate for you, I'm sure you'll make me a fair offer. What is the salary for the position?"

or to be blunt
"How much does the job pay?" :laugh:
edit: too lazy to fix typos. deal :D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Those are all good for a face to face interviews, however, this is being asked for in the resume that I would mail them BEFORE any actual interview.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Then "Salary Requirements: Negotiable" is your answer.

Then do your research and find out what that sort of job offers... and make sure the salary you expect to make falls in that range.

- Steve

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Whenever I apply for a job that asks for salary requirements, I provide my resume with salary history and I add a line to my cover letter towards the end after I've gone indepth about my previous job that states "My salary requirement is open to negotiation".

Is that correct though? I've been using that method for a long time when faced with the issue of stating salary requirements so I hope it will suffice! ;)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I don't think I would give my salary history to a complete stranger. I don't know why companies want this. I guess they don't know how much to pay anyone these days. And what's the problem with going to a new job for more money if you are worth it and they are willing to pay it??

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I would simply leave it off the resume honestly. It's something I want to handle face to face.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I used to put on my cover letters, "My salary requirements are within the market value of the position." I wouldn't not answer the question because they will toss those resumes in the trash. I now put a range on my resumes where my requirements are.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
if possible call ahead to human resources and ask the salary range for the position. i dont mind sending my salary history. i always tell people that it's negotiable. if they are firm and want a number, i ask what the salary range for the position is and i go on the high side of the range. if the person responsible for hiring is the one interviewing you and they REALLY like you, they would fight for the salary for you. happens all the time.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
They look at salary history so they can low-ball an offer if the position you are interviewing is generally significantly higher paying than your previous salary on the expectation that you'll take below market rate as long as it is a big enough increase above your current salary.

A desireable job candidate is one who can fill the position adequately at the lowest salary they can get that person to accept.

I had to decline a job once because the company offered $10k below market value, even though it was a decent offer. I found out from a friend who works for that company that it took them a year to fill the position and ended up hiring at market-rate anyway. But that was in a time when there were more jobs than available workers. That's not necessarily the case these days, but companies will still look to make the lowest offer they can get someone to accept.

AjayM

Screenwriter
If I'm pressed I just tell that I am not allowed to disclose that information as part of the non-disclosure I signed when I worked for whatever prior company.

If they continue to push the issue then I usually walk out, as they are usually trying to offer you a salary based on what you have made in the past, not what the job is worth (providing that is a lower number), and gives good insight into how the company truly acts (not always true obviously).

Also I rarely write down "Negotiable" all by itself, I'll include some type of range, and then add something like "Negotiable upon benefits" or something along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks