What's new

Job Interview on Friday: Wardrobe? (1 Viewer)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys,
I have a job interview with HR tomorrow. It's an entry-level Marketing Analyst position, with the same company I'm with right now.
Our department (A/R) allows for casual Friday, and I think it's company wide.

What is the recommended attire?
A more formal style: Dress Shirt/Tie/Slacks,
or a relaxed, not too casual style? I'm thinking dk grey Turtleneck/black Pleated Khakis (w.cuffs)?

Thanks for the advice

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Do a recon mission to that dept today and see what is the standard. Then wear the nicest stuff that they wear during the week even though it's casual Friday.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I remember hearing that a good rule of thumb is to dress one "notch" higher than what the employees usually wear:

If they wear jeans and casual clothes, you should wear nice khaki's and a button down shirt, probably OK with no tie.

If they wear khaki's and nice shirts, you should wear nice pants/slacks, a button down shirt AND a tie.

If they wear ties regularly, you're stuck wearing a suit.

You don't want to overdress, and you certainly don't want to underdress. A recon mission is a great idea.

-Jason

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I hate to sound like a "Mens Warehouse" ad but you can never go wrong with a suit. It shows that you are professional and serious about the interview/job.

After I was hired at my current employer I was told that there were 3 other people they were considering for the position but those others were dressed casually and did not look very professional. I wore a suit and they said that clinched it for me to be hired.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Wear a suit or at least a sport coat and tie. Anything less would just allow an interviewer who cares about that stuff to knock off points, so why give them that opportunity? Dress in a suit and they can't subtract any points, at least I've never heard of a guy who lost a job for dressing too nice!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
black suit, white shirt, plain tie, I like dark red.
I wouldn't wear anything else...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In any post-college job interview I've never gone without a tie, slacks and buttoned down shirt, even though in some cases it was dressing more than a notch over the office standard. In one case I was interviewing for a new position with the same employer, so co-workers were impressed with how well I "cleaned up." Of course when I showed up for my regular work day in my usual jeans and tee-shirt they thought I was a slob :)

I've heard some stories about a suit being a turn off for some progressive places, so recon is always a good idea too. That's why if I am able I go in person to pick up a job application packet.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think as Cameron pointed out it does depend on the industry. In mine anything less than I mentioned is unheard of... but in say IT, I could wear slacks and a nice shirt and still get hired.
oddly enough I have an interview in uh, 3.5 hours.

Still, if you have a nice suit, wear it. Making an impression is critical.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
The last IT guy I interviewed had black pants, white shirt and tie, nice shoes.... and white socks !

He got the job considering I figured he had no social life and could be worked like a dog.... he starts next Monday.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dark suit, white shirt and a conservative tie. I don't think you ever lose with this outfit, regardless of the job.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
but he already works at the company ... I'd just go w/ what you wear on days other than Friday.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Nope, you cannot go wrong by overdressing. It is for another department and it is an interview. I would show respect for the interview process and wear a suit.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
^^haha!

The recon mission was not possible, security is tight in that department, and my pass does not allow me in marketing.
I wore a tie/shirt/dress pants. It was a bit over dressed for that department. I saw guys in jeans and spider-man shirts. But it wasn't bad. It boosted my confidence all day long. I think the interview went well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm a little late to the party, but what the heck, I'll add my $0.02.

I'm a programmer and have always worked in casual environments, but I've always worn a suit unless I had an excuse. Typically the excuse is that if I'm coming from work, I can't wear a suit because everybody will assume I'm interviewing. However if I have time to get the suit on, I wear it.

In my last round of interviews a few weeks ago I wore the suit because I was out of work, and even though I knew some of the places would be pretty casual, I sure wasn't going to risk blowing the interview over such a little thing. However I did wear my favorite tie. It is dark red with a square pattern on it, and inside the squares are Looney Toon characters. You kind of have to look closely to catch it. I figure if someone is bothered by the tie, I don't want to work for them. I did get complements on it at two of my interviews this time.

My second job out of college I dressed casual for the interview. I had decided to stay at my first job after I had searched for a bit. A headhunter I had talked to called me up and asked me if I wanted to interview with this one company. Since they were a block away from my current employer, and would see me in the evening, I figured what the heck I'd go, but I didn't dress up because my coworkers would be suspicious. No mention of it was made and I landed the job. Man I miss that place...

Phil_L

Second Unit
In the legal world, even when interviewing for a job at a firm with casual friday, you always dress in a suit and tie. It is likely your interviewers will be dressed up to interview you even on a casual friday. I'd go all out with suit and tie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks