What's new

Job Interview Comin' Up (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My last question, providing I actually am interested in the position, is always "So when do I start?" :D
I have found that most interviews tend to be almost entirely based on personality and presentation than what your resume says. Your resume gets you the interview, your interview gets you the job. All of the advice given is very good.
FOLLOW UP is a bigger one than many people think!!
Honesty is another. I know this doesn't help you for this one, but there is always next time.
I had to go through a "class" and book called Behavioral Interviewing, just to interview people at my last company. Know what I learned? How to be a better interviewEE, more than an interveiewER. :D :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...next semester I'm actually taking an interviewing communication course, so that will also add to experience. BTW, I emailed everyone that was at the interview, thanked them, and repeated how enthusiastic I am about the job.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
John brought up a good point: follow-through. Immediately after the interview, drop a note in the mail to the person who interviewed you. All you have to do is say "Thanks for your time, I'd really like to discuss this further" or words to that effect. Hardly anyone does this, and it's impressive to the interviewer. Be sure to include all the numbers on how you can be reached.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Kinda late, but ask WHEN you can expect to hear back, and mention that if you don't hear back, you'll be calling. Then do so.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Not too late Shayne, because I already asked :)
They came right soudn and said they had to make a decision by next week...so the clock is ticking.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Matt:

Just wanted to say I am excited for you, and congrats on doing well in the interview. Also, wanted to underscore what others have said: be sure to write a quick thank-you letter to as many of the interview committee as appropriate.

My thank-you letters generally follow a 3-paragraph form:

1st paragraph: thanking them for the opportunity to learn about the position, the company and share your qualifications.

2nd paragraph: A quick recap of the skills and responsibilities of the position (in other words, reflecting back what you learned during the interview, to prove you listened!) matched with why you qualify to fill those needs. Briefly, here -- nothing lengthy.

3rd paragraph: thanking them again, telling me you look forward to hearing from them and becoming a contributing team member of their company.

Keep us posted!

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Matt,

Glad to hear that you had a good interview. I've had some pretty horrible interviews in the placement office in stewart center as well as some good ones.

I would suggest that next time you go home, get the suit, unless you get the job and don't need it.

Just to clarify, I meant if you are asked about hobbies then it's ok to ask the interviewer if the discussion goes that way and the rapport is good. I agree that you should never ask that question out of the blue.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well, I didn't get my Business Analyst position I was hoping to get. I'm about to be out of college and the job market SUCKS. Now I'm back to point A again. No leads, no nothing. Every single job I look at you have to have 2-4 years experience. How the HELL can I have 2-4 years experience just out of college! Sorry, just had to vent. The guy (in his email) said I was too shy and I need to work on it if I want to get a position I desire. And for the one guy who had an interview with a committee, I had 4 interviews with 5 people in each interview for this ONE job. I think I'm done venting.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Dave...it's hilarious that you bring up the Center for Career Opportunities at Stewart Center, because that is actually where I applied. And no...I don't mean CCO set me up with an interview...I literally mean that I applied for a Web Programming position at CCO...hehe. They are working on a website redesign, and need someone because 2 people are leaving. Funny coincedence.

Also, Paul...I hear you. As I said I'm only a soph and havn't had to completely deal with the job market yet, but I've been applying for internships and summer jobs like a mofo, and nada. In fact this was the first interview I've had all year...and I've probably applied for 20-25 jobs. I was freaking out, becuase I thought that I'd end up working at McDonalds or Walmart this summer...and that just wouldn't work, hehe.

Thanks again guys!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,
Great to hear you did well.
Now remember one fact: just suppose they have only 1 other applicant (often it's a few more), then your a priori chance is only 50%. If they have three candidates, that's 33%. Rather obvious, of course, but often forgotten - especially when they happen to choose the other for some reason (or perhaps by flipping a coin :rolleyes:).
Unless (some of) the other candidates are hopeless idiots, of course....
This is not to make you feel uncomfortable, but just to make you remember the odds... So: it's great if they choose you, but certainly don't be too depressed if it happens to be someone else.
Cees

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Don't worry...I'm a pessimist, hehe...so I don't expect to get the job anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks