1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

job application vent

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam_S, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    so I'm filling out the job application for something I'd love to get and finally come across a little box, "in your words, write below why you want to work [for us]"

Um this is really simple

1. I get paid (this is important in film)
    2. It's in the career field I'm interested in and that makes me happy even if this is an entry level position.
    3. did I mention I get paid

Right now all I care about is being able to pay my 650 /month rent for my third of the apt, 200$ in grocery and probably 200 in gas per month. Just being able to do that, and I'll be so thrilled I"ll bust my ass nonstop for a year for you and hope this turns into something else.

I mean really what's the whole damn point of those things, they're just boxes to spill bull shit into, people apply for jobs because they need money and hopefully because they like the line of work. They don't do it because it's 'an exciting company in the field I'm in working with major blah blah and possibilities of upward mobility." that's doubletalk for, I know how to do this work, I want to do this work, and I hope I get a promotion for doing my job well. but you're supposed to say how great everything is and use dime phrases like upward mobility right? Seems so fucking lame, fake and politically correct. I hate it, I don't think like that; I don't write well in the tone of voice these things are supposed to get because I don't believe in that tone.

I mean in something like this do you even mention that you're desirous of a promotion and not staying at entry level? isn't that assumed? if you say it do they look badly upon your application (oh he's not interested in this job really...)

all I care about is getting experience, continuing to be able to live in LA, and maybe make a few contacts. I'm not picky about paid work, I"ll take anything since my savings run out after september rent.

I mean how do you even start phrasing something for a box like that, do you start off, "looking for a career..." or "this company is exciting in this field"

It just seems so stupid and frustrating to me and I'm needlessly stressing about this part of the application. I know I want the job, I like the company, the people I'd work with seem cool (chatting with other people who're in the position I'd get before my interview started),and, like I said I get paid, I get experience whatever. just have no idea how to write that without seeming I'm just filling in the blanks without seeming I don't care, without seeming I"m selfish for wanting experience or contacts as being good enough to take a job that will barely cover expenses after taxes. How can I say I bust my ass at everything and I learn jobs really fast, have great retention and evaluate what it is I'm doing, what it's affect is and then adapt what I"m taught to better accomplish those goals without sounding like a prick?

bah, just needed to vent

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Of course this may just be something that no one will read or care about, but many employers actually want to know why someone wants to work for them (or their company), a opposed to other places. Putting down that you just want to get paid and your company AAA Acme was first in the Yellow Pages, will probably not advance your cause.

What you are trying to do in an application (and subsequent interview) for an entry level job is to separate yourself from all of the other applicants. It is normally pretty hard to do this on your experience (for entry level jobs), so you really need to figure out ways to make yourself stand out from the pack.

The section in question is a perfect opportunity to do this: demonstrate that you know about the company, its culture and why you fit in with the company and specifically want to work for them and are ideally suited for both that company and position.

Now you may think that this is all BS. But if you take the time to research the company and can demonstrate on paper (and in person) that you know quite a bit about the company, it will really help your application.

For sure in LA, the various post houses (if I recall, you were interested in post-production) must be well known in your circle—and if one is not, it should not be too hard to find out quite a bit about the place. Also look up the officers and senior creative types and find out about their background.

If you do these things, it won’t be too hard to articulate why you want to work for that company and with those people. A much better story than, “I’m about to run out of money”.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Also, you can turn it around and state the reasons why they should hire you, what you bring to the tables in terms of intangibles and productivity and ideas (but you do have to show them you understand what the company does in order to help them achieve their goals as well).

4. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

The employment situation has been tight. More people looking than jobs available. This has created an environment where there are many more qualifed candidates than jobs. It's still a buyers (employers) market. So I believe companies, given the number of qualifed candidates, are looking for some other way to differentiate the applicants. This may just be one way. That should be your approach anyway, in answering the question. What makes you different than all the other qualified candidates.

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i wouldn't take these sections so literally. perhaps it's just a way for the employer to weed out the dullards. the quality of the speech and writing is indicative of the quality of your thoughts.

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Oh that's sort of what I wound up doing Lew, after venting here I was able to think more clearly and sat down and wrote out several different ways until I thought I found something that was effective and truthful and compelling about why I want to work there and why they should hire me.

I think it was more of a panic/fear reaction like 'oh shit I'm going to screw everything up here because I don't know what they want to hear' and once I actually sat down to solve it as a way to express briefly who I am and what I want to accomplish with and for them (and stopped worrying about what I think what they want to hear) I felt a lot better about it. And I saw the reasons for including it. Anyway it's turned in now and nothing more I can do about it.

Maybe it just triggered painful memories of college applications. I remember filling out those sorts of questions for a fast food job in high school where there really is absolutely no other reason to work other than money. Once I thought about it and worked on my response I realized just how much sense it makes for a real job to include it.

7. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Exactly. When I interview potential employees in my job, especially inexperienced ones, I will typically ask this question just to see how they'll respond.