What's new

Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash! Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So the idea that this woman more than likely saved this man from certain death and thus allowed him to remain with us for decades and continue to give the world great music, music that inspired and helped people, means nothing and isn't worth telling?

I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but Edwin... how do you really feel?

I saw the movie on DVD Saturday night and loved it. I was glad Reese got her Oscar and while I didn't see all the nominated films, was sorry to see that Phoenix didn't get one also.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
John, you are missing my point.

There are a lot of unsung heroes out there with similarities to Cash's and June's story but theirs doesn't get published in the newspapers or turned into a novel or made into a movie. But these same people, in their own ways, inspire others in their own communities making their stories no less important than Cash's and June's.

When you meet ordinary people like this, Cash's and June's story pales in comparison.

Cinematically and artistically, I cannot elevate Cash's and June's story compared to the ones that I know simply because they were big stars.

~Edwin

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That's a very cold way of looking at it, Edwin, I must say.

IMO, ANY story that involves someone saving another's life through love and compassion is a story well worth telling, big stars or not.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Cinematically and artistically, I cannot elevate Cash's and June's story compared to the ones that I know simply because they were big stars.
How about looking at it from another angle - that even though they were big stars, they had problems just like common folks and all the fame and all the money in the world could not help him, yet she eventually did. If I follow your reasoningyou seem to be saying big stars with everyday problems are not an interesting or compelling story because ordinary people have the same story. Therefore, by viewing the Cash saga we are somehow shortchanging the common man. I see it the other way around. We view these seemingly larger than life people and suddenly we realize that they are not that larger than life at all; they have the same hurts, addictions, problems and yes, love that the "common" man has. I found it a great story of someone who was truly saved and humbled by the love of a strong, caring and determined woman. I knew Cash went through a personal redemption and was a devout Christian till his dying days. The movie only addressed this by showing him going to church, but his spiritual redemption was deep and heartfelt. But, I never knew quite how much June had to do with his transformation and found it interesting and moving to have the love aspect of his life spelled out for me.

YMMV, but I personally think it is unfair criticism to fault the film simply because millions of "ordinary" people have been through the same lot in life. Quite to the contrary, I saw it as a tribute and an honor to those who have been redeemed by love, not a snub.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Did anyone see Joaquin last night at the Oscars? He looked more like Johnny Cash then, than he did in the movie. Had the hair grown out a little more. He probably had his guitar under his seat, just in case he won. I won't say he got robbed like some have stated. But I was pulling for him.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman deserved it just as much

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great post, Jeff, you articulated things beautifully. :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't really believe in the Oscars anymore, so I wasn't upset that he didn't win, didn't change my opinion of his performance either way. But it's cool that Reese won, now, is it 29 million for her next film cool? No, but cool nontheless.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
If someone doesn't like the love that Johnny and June had for each other in this movie, then you should not care for any music produced by these legends.

The movie was great and interesting and I still think Phoenix, who didn't just imitate Johnny, but became The Man in Black, was snubbed on is Oscar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks