What's new

Joan Of Arc And.... Oklahoma (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
In the new issue of Billboard issue there is a center geft section that includes a full page ad from entertainment.
First, a cover of a new DVD of Joan of arc. This has nopt even beenannounced. This is the film with Ingrid Bergman. I hope thisw is the restored version that was done a few years ago that includes at least 40 min of long missing footage ( the film was cut for reissue down to about an hour and a half.) the film is not a great movie but has many interesting things including a dynamite film score by Hogo Friedhofer.
Also shown in a new Oklahoma, a production from British National Theater starring Hugh Jackman. I love thiws version (have it on tape form the BBC). Jackman is amazing with a convincing accent, good singing voice, very good acting and he even does his own dancing, including the ballet. The British DVD inbcludes a making of, but nothing is mentioned about this for the new Image release. Hope they include it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
UCLA fully restored Joan of Arc (check out their online archive catalog) to its full length version.

Of course, not everyone chooses to use UCLA's wonderful restorations...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have the R2 DVD of Oklahoma! and thought it was an odd mix of stage and live performance (with scenes of the audience cut in to the mix). Jackman was fine...it was quite a jolt to see him as a song and dance man in the pre-Wolverine days.

What I was hoping, Joe, was that you were going to have some news on an Oklahoma! Todd-AO restoration. The current Fox DVD, while containing the Todd-AO version of the movie, is non-anamorphic and lackluster.

- Steve

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
This is the film with Ingrid Bergman. I hope thisw is the restored version that was done a few years ago that includes at least 40 min of long missing footage ( the film was cut for reissue down to about an hour and a half.)
The cut version is very choppy, and poorly edited, and really hurts the film. I think that adding the missing footage in it's proper place would really help this movie. I hope the Restored version makes it to DVD.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
What I was hoping, Joe, was that you were going to have some news on an Oklahoma! Todd-AO restoration. The current Fox DVD, while containing the Todd-AO version of the movie, is non-anamorphic and lackluster.
Very much seconded, Steve (on page two of that thread as well). The R&H's should be redressed for musical fans everywhere, and I hope the studio does so in the near term.

And may I say (as I'm sure many did back when it closed), OT, that the internet is lesser for the absence of DVDResource. I always found the site informative and enjoyable -- you provided a great service to DVD enthusiasts everywhere, particularly us "early adopters." :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks