Joan Of Arc And.... Oklahoma

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

In the new issue of Billboard issue there is a center geft section that includes a full page ad from entertainment.
    First, a cover of a new DVD of Joan of arc. This has nopt even beenannounced. This is the film with Ingrid Bergman. I hope thisw is the restored version that was done a few years ago that includes at least 40 min of long missing footage ( the film was cut for reissue down to about an hour and a half.) the film is not a great movie but has many interesting things including a dynamite film score by Hogo Friedhofer.
    Also shown in a new Oklahoma, a production from British National Theater starring Hugh Jackman. I love thiws version (have it on tape form the BBC). Jackman is amazing with a convincing accent, good singing voice, very good acting and he even does his own dancing, including the ballet. The British DVD inbcludes a making of, but nothing is mentioned about this for the new Image release. Hope they include it.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    UCLA fully restored Joan of Arc (check out their online archive catalog) to its full length version.

Of course, not everyone chooses to use UCLA's wonderful restorations...

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I have the R2 DVD of Oklahoma! and thought it was an odd mix of stage and live performance (with scenes of the audience cut in to the mix). Jackman was fine...it was quite a jolt to see him as a song and dance man in the pre-Wolverine days.

What I was hoping, Joe, was that you were going to have some news on an Oklahoma! Todd-AO restoration. The current Fox DVD, while containing the Todd-AO version of the movie, is non-anamorphic and lackluster.

- Steve

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

5. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor