What's new

Joan Crawford -- Volume 2 Coming Feb. 12 From Warners (1 Viewer)

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news - thanks for posting, OP.

A Woman's Face is the only one of the bunch that's a must-have for me, but even if it is available separately I'll probably pick up the whole set, if only to give WB some money and encourage them to keep it going... :D

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm disappointed that When Ladies Meet isn't one of the titles in the set but it's just a matter of being patient a while longer before it sees the light of day on DVD.

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe in vol.3. Crawford, Greer Garson & Robert Taylor...im sure it will be released at some point

Corey

Screenwriter

Maybe it's one of the Greer Garson titles WB has planned for next year. Can't wait for those!!!

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Wasn´t there two edits of A WOMAN´S FACE? Can´t find the relevant info right now but I seem to remember reading about that somewhere. Hopefully WB has looked into it.

Would OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS etc. fit in a pre-code box volume? Or would those movies be a good centerpiece in a JAZZ AGE MOVIE CLASSICS DVD box?

Corey

Screenwriter
They should really consider a TCM Archives Silents Collection for Joan like they did for Garbo.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would love to see George Cukor's SUSAN AND GOD--a fascinating topic with a fascinating cast--and THE GORGEOUS HUSSY with Franchot Tone, Robert Taylor, James Stewart, Melvyn Douglas and Lionel Barrymore as Andrew Jackson. Also: for camp value ICE FOLLIES OF 1939, which was brought out on ld as part of "The Joan Crawford Collection." And then there is the never-on-video GOODBYE MY FANCY and THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS. Crawford was a genre unto herself.

Corey

Screenwriter
Volume 3:

-Susan and God
-This Woman Is Dangerous
-Possessed (1931)
-Above Suspicion
-Letty Lynton (legal issues still persist, BUT it has been restored)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I am not much of a Crawford fan (don't hit me!), but I would love to see THE BRIDE WORE RED (37) on DVD - I just love this film.

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

Possessed should be on the Pre-Code set along with "Dance,Fools,Dance"
What's the point to restore Letty Lynton if they can't release it. I guess they have cleared the legal issue

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

I guess you want her movies that has not been released on VHS or DVD

This Woman Is Dangerous
Goodbye, My Fancy
The Ice Follies of 1939
No More Ladies
Letty Lynton
This Modern Age
Paid
Our Blushing Brides
Montana Moon
Untamed

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well Junior, what I meant to say was that most of those on the list I taped years ago from TCM, so it's really unreleased ones that I keep the VCR for. I love watching ICE FOLLIES but it's soooo bad.

Corey

Screenwriter
There are still tons of Joan films I haven't seen like most of her silents and and a lot of her films from the 30s.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Well of COURSE they would but UNTIL they are released to DVD I will have to make do with these, won't I?

Honestly Junior, I can't help but feel you're taking the piss out of me here. I HAVE all of the dvd's but keep the old tapes when they are the only option.

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

The 2 boxes are a little late Crawford heavy. Sadie Mckee being the earliest. TCM Archives for her silents for sure. I don't know wich ones that still exists. I read here on the board that "Today We Live" might be on a Gary Cooper vol.2. Let's hope it's true. And im very sure "Forsaking All Others" will be in Gable Vol.2.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate to pour water on you guys, but I'll be shocked if a lot of the Crawford titles you're discussing now make it to DVD. I don't see a good enough business case for Warner to release all of those Crawford titles.

Crawdaddy

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Even though many of Crawford vehicles from the 30's have similar plots (working girl rising) I think there are some titles that are very important and may have their way into the dvd media.
Some of her earlies may be released under the Forbidden Hollywood banner.
Her oher pairings with Gable are worthy to mention (specially Forsaking All others, Chained and even Love on the Run)
Mannequin (with Tracy) Today We Live (with Cooper) and The Shining Hour (co-starring Margaret Sullavan) are some of my favorites.
No More Ladies is MGM in its full glamour.
Susan and God and When Ladies Meet (Bob Tayloy and Greer Garson) are a good example of MGM star power in the 40's.
So, in my opinion there are, at least, 10 remaining movies that have potencial commercial value for WB to release.
But of course, I don't work inside the company and don't have the slightest idea on how well those box sets are selling. So, I could be very wrong. Just hope I'm not, so we can have plenty more classics on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks