What's new

Joan Crawford gets her hypo-gun (1 Viewer)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I am probebly the only Joan fan who likes "Trog" and I am really happy that it will be released. But I must admit that I think it's wierd that Warner release this movie and has no plans at all to release "The Shining Hour" wich is way more popular with fans than "Trog".

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
They said a box set is coming, so we can only hope for other wild Crawford titles. Maybe this box will be a bad movie box and include TORCH SONG! :)

Charles H

Screenwriter
ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 with James Stewart and a Technicolor sequence? It was included in a Crawford LD collection. SUSAN AND GOD is a fascinating film with a terrific cast: Marjorie Main, Fredric March, Rita Hayworth, Gloria DeHaven, Joan Leslie, Susan Peters, Nigel Bruce, Bruce Cabot, Ruth Hussey, Dan Dailey.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I just hope Trog will not be included in Joan's box set.
There are tons of better choices than that.
I think Susan and God is a great Crawford vehicle and would very much like to watch Ice Folies of 1939. Too bad that are no plans for The Shining Hour.
Anyway, I still have high hopes for A Woman's Face, When Ladies Meet, Manequinn and anything with Gable.
Really, just one more volume for the Crawford Collection isn't enough at all.

DavidBC

Second Unit
My guess (which is based on absolutely nothing) is that Trog won't be in a Crawford box; I would think it would get a seperate, Halloween-themed release, like Bette Davis' Dead Ringer, or Night of the Lepus did a few years back. Although we can always hope for a Bad Movies We Love box-set!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The release of Trog is tied into Warner releasing some guilty pleasure horror titles onto dvd in the September timeframe. The next boxset will most likely include her MGM films.

Crawdaddy

DavidBC

Second Unit

That's great news. The first box was a little Warner-heavy, if you ask me. I can't wait for the announcement to see what titles will be on it.

Corey

Screenwriter

i surely hope you're right. i wouldn't mind if they included this woman is dangerous in the next set. i love joan when she's hustling. :)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

I think "When Ladies Meet" will be in vol. 2
Warner said that there was gonna be more Greer Garson this year

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Corey, I have to disagree--When Ladies Meet "is" much of a movie, although perhaps it helps being a woman to see just how much it is. There is a line by Greer Garson in there (I won't spoil it for others who may not have seen it, just let me say she talks of what it takes to keep marriage together) that transcends light script. It is fluff to a degree, but there is that content there that elevates it.
Um, I'll bet they won't use that artwork, cause it's no longer accurately descriptive. Funny how times change.

I love this movie, and hope it does get released soon. What do you think are the chances for a commentary? I prefer those with film historians, which is the most we could get, I guess.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well all the movie posters are in that similar manner, but I'm assuming you're talking about the "gay romance" part. lol. I actually enjoy the film very much, but it's pure fluff. If released, I doubt there would be commentary, but a featurette would be nice. Here's what Joan had to say about this film:

"...I have nothing but the worst to say for When Ladies Meet. Terrible story, terrible script, and I doubt that any actress could have made the goddam thing believable. Adrian dressed me divinely, as usual, and that's the only good thing I can say for it. Robert Taylor and Greer Garson were wasted, too, so I shouldn't complain too much."

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I liked When Ladies Meet...but I think Ann Harding and Myrna Loy did a MUCH better job than Joan and Greer (who I normally like, but she seemed stilted and less natural in this role compared to Ann). If we could just transplant Robert Taylor from the remake to take Robert Montgomery's place in the original, we'd have the perfect movie. ;)

So I guess what I'm saying is...I hope the 1933 version is an extra too! Not much hope of it being released on it's own. :frowning:

Oh, and add another vote for Ice Follies of 1939 with Joan Crawford and James Stewart, a bizarre pairing I've just got to see. :)

I'd prefer Strange Cargo in Gable's next set, but who knows when that will be? So if it shows up in Crawford's boxset, I won't complain. :D

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Anyone have a link about this? Is it a definite release, I haven't seen anything about this in the usualy places.

It would be nice to think that Warner are contemplating another themed boxset, along the lines of the Horror one last year. Maybe they are looking for titles that could be placed alongside Attack of the 50ft Woman, The Giant Behemoth and Frankenstein 1970, all of which were said to be due for release in last year's Warner Chat.

Corey

Screenwriter

A link about what?? When Ladies Meet and Ice Follies is pure speculation since we don't know what other titles will be in the set besides Flamingo Road.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Er...Trog!

Not to worry, I just noticed that it was flagged for release in this year's Warner Chat...which I managed to miss. Again. *blush*

Hoping that Trog, along with the titles I mentioned above (which were in last year's Warner Chat) will form either a boxset similar to the Legends of Horror, or alternatively, the "guilty pleasures" horror they referred to.

The three I mentioned would certainly go well together, not sure how Trug would sit next to them though, it;s more of a "Night of the Lepus" type film :)

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena

I would love to see "Ice Follies" sitting proudly next to The Mortal Storm in Jimmy's next box. :laugh: Warner also owns: The Last Gangster (with Edward G. Robinson), Navy Blue And Gold (with Robert Young), It's A Wonderful World (with Claudette Colbert) ...wait, I shouldn't hijack Joan Crawford's thread with Jimmy Stewart boxset speculation...sorry. :) Let's just say there's quite a few and I hope Warner will concentrate on this early period of Jimmy's career next time instead of his 1950s/60s+ films.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Serena, I wouldn't have hopes for Ice Folies in the Jimmy Stewart box set, since Warner has a lot of vehicles to choose.
Beisdes the 3 you mentioned, and Come and live with me there are: Speed, Shopworn Angel (with Margaret Sullavan), Of Human Hearts, Vivacious Lady (most likely in a Ginger's set), No Time for Comedy (with Rosalind Russell), Malaya (with Spencer Tracy), Carbine Williams, more popular than Ice Folies, though its inclusion would be a nice surprise.
And I'm just telling that in this thread because it envolves a Crawford movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks