What's new

Joan Crawford Centennial Collection See Post#25 (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
March 23, 2006 will mark what would have been Joan Crawford's 100th birthday. I know it's over a year away, but has anyone heard any rumblings about a possible box set from Warners to celebrate this milestone?

Although overshadowed today by "Mommie Dearest," Crawford is one of the Hollywood's greatest stars whose films deserve rediscovery. I would love to see Warners do a major DVD release of her films.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i am 100% certain WB will have some kind of set to coincide with it.

no doubt in my mind.

what titles would you like to see?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Greta Garbo also has a centenial coming up and is getting a full on retrospective screening series btween UCLA archive and the Academy in April here in LA. I'd expect a box set might be due in the near future. :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I thought Joan's centennial was LAST year. There are many differing opinions about the year of her birth. She always claimed it was 1908 (the last year they didn't require birth certificates to be registered in her Texas home town) but I thought the modern consensus was 1904, although I have also heard 1905 and 1906 mentioned as possible contenders. I always favored 1904, which would have put her arrival at MGM at the age of twenty after a career as, errr...amongst...aaa....other things, a Broadway chorus girl.

Not that I'll complain if they release a box set ANYTIME in honor of Joan. I'll be there in any case. ;)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great idea!

Some films I'd like to see in the boxset:

A 2 disc SE of Mildred Pierce
Humoresque
Possessed
Flamingo Road
A Woman's Face
Strange Cargo

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would like to see "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" in the collection. I always enjoyed the film with William Powell and Robert Montgomery.

Dom

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny Guitar..if they can buy the rights from Republic pictures.

Sudden Fear..if they can get the rights..KINO DVD is crap.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

Sounds to me as if MGM should be releasing a centennial collection for Joan each year just to be sure they cover all the bases! ;)

Claude North

Second Unit
Honestly, I can't think of a Joan Crawford film that I wouldn't want on DVD...and that includes Trog!

A few other titles not mentioned thus far:

The Bride Wore Red
Daisy Kenyon
The Damned Don't Cry
This Woman is Dangerous

Plus, these non-Warners titles:

Female on the Beach
Autumn Leaves
Harriet Craig (is this available, or am I confusing it with Queen Bee?)

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator

Daisy Kenyon is a Twentieth Century Fox picture, thus not owned by Warner Bros/ Turner.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Excellent choice! This would also give WB the opportunity to throw in the original film from 1929 with Norma Shearer and Basil Rathbone as a bonus (a la "Gaslight" and Universal's "Imitation of Life").

Steve

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob

Perhaps some of her "blue" movies from the mid-20's would round out the set nicely. :)

Rob

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I would love to see, beyond most of those titles above metionend, The Shining Hour, When Ladies Meet, Mannequin, No More Ladies and Susan and God, though "A Woman's face is my all time Crawford's favorite.

And I don't think we need a special editon for Mildred Pierce. The current edition with that incredible film transfer on one side and that great documentary on the other, is, my opinion, the definitive dvd version for that title.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
For those who don't know, Warner's MILDRED PIERCE DVD is truly a must-have for anyone interested in Joan Crawford or film noir. It is really essential for anyone's DVD library, and the transfer is stunning.

However beyond that, the disc is a flipper because on "SIDE B" is a really terrific documentary about the legendary lady called JOAN CRAWFORD: THE ULTIMATE MOVIE STAR. It pulls no punches, and goes beyond the 'Mommie Dearest' persona that has so clouded her reputation.

Meanwhile, I somehow feel a box of Crawford delights must be on its way from Warner. I'm hoping it would contain not only TORCH SONG, but THE DAMNED DON'T CRY, which is not only quintessential Crawford, but never even got released on VHS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks