JMLabs/Focal

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nathan J, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone here have these?

I listened to the Chorus line today...They had a pair of last years 715's for $600.

Needless to say, I put money down on them.

One of the very best lower - priced speakers I have heard.

Deatail and soundstage was amazing on them.

If anyone else has listened to these, I would like to hear your comments.

Thanks

Nate

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I really like JMLab's Utopia line. The Mezzo Utopia was one of the best speakers i've ever heard.

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

JMLab makes some of the world's best speakers. Focal is the parent company and they supply tweeters to many fine speaker companies such as Wilson. Just this past weekend I went to listen to their top of the line Utopia speakers, the Grande Utopia Be is around $40,000 and it was unbelievable! Their special inverted tweeter is one of the softest and most magical sounding tweeters I have ever listen to. The sound stage was lay-back but pin-point accurate. The mid-range was silky smooth but the bass was actually a little boomy. Of the Utopia line, the Alto Utopia was my personal favorite but at $16,000 it is out of my price range.

The Chorus series is also very good and reasonabily priced. Before I got my Paradigm Reference 40's I also auditioned the Chorus. Don't remember the model number but it was the smallest tower in the series. As far as I could remember, it had similar characteristics as the Utopia line I listened to this past weekend but just LESS of everything. JMLab speakers seems to do better with classical music then jazz, rock is not bad but the Chorus speakers did not have enough bass to make it rockin'. And since I am not rich enough to have different speakers for different types of music, I decided against JMLab and went with Paradigm Reference instead. And I personally also like more foward sounding speakers as well. Gives me a better sense of stage depth. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy your new JMLab speakers! And HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

4. Jeran Kuenzie

I have Focal Separates in my car. They are the Polykevlar series which is right below the Utopias. I absolutely love them! I wish I could find some home speakers that sound that good.

5. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I have JMlab Electra speakers, which are a step down from the Utopia line. I use the 906 bookshelves and the CC901 centre speaker. Simply incredibly speakers, efficient, dynamic, detailed but very smooth, tight bass response, and they throw a huge 3D soundstage.

I've listened to the Chorus and Cobalt speakers and they exhibit the same qualities as above along with the same sonic signature, but they're a little less refined. All in all, very good speakers from the smallest Chorus to the largest Utopia.

6. Nathan J

Well, It sounds like I made a good choice.

I think I will be happy with them, although, I am afraid that my Yamaha reciever is not going to have the power to drive them to the level that I want[​IMG]

Looks like I am going to have to get seperates soon[​IMG]

7. Nathan J

Jeran,

You should find a store that carries the Focal/JMLab brand of home audio speakers.

I was very surprised at how great the chorus line sounded.

You can get the new 714s for $800 brand new. And they will sound even better after break in.

Also listen to the B&W 602, 602.5, 603, and 604,( series 3)

Although the B&W is a little more $$$.