What's new

JMLab Electra SW900 Sub, ANYGOOD??? (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Has anyone heard the JMLab SW900 Electra sub?, Is it any good comparing to the B&W 675 and the SVS sub? Because I can get the JMlab at a very good price. ($900). Is it good for music and movie. Because I watch movies about 60% and music 40%. I have a H/k 525. Does that match it??

Hope someone can give me quick advice. Because at that price the Sub will be gone soon.

Thanks guys

Ned

Supporting Actor
I already told you about my friend's SW800. SVS is vastly superior for movies and as good or better for music. At $900 you have several SVS options too.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I know that SVS is good, but it costs a lot more than the original price when including shipping. I also heard very bad stuff from my friend about the heavy custom tax. He said that any imported electronics has to be Taxed about 40% the original price. That is shocking. So the SVS sub will end up costing over US$1200. I am still deciding right now if I should give it a go. I don't really want to be sting heavily by the custom tax system.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The only extra fees for Canada are GST, PST and the paperwork for those taxes that is about $30-45 depending on the value of the shipment. There are no additional duties because SVS are made in the USA (free trade). Shipping isn't particularly expensive.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
yeh,
but I am actually living in Australia. That is why it costs a lot for shipping. Plus Australia have GST. And it has very high import tax rate. That is why I am very scared that I will be paying an Extra US$200 dollars on Tax itself. The shipping I quoted from Ron was about US$250.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
Just bought the Electra SW900.
I can't belive how good it is, it is not boomy, the bass is accurate, clean and tight. The sound pressurised my room to every corner. Too bad, I can't compare this to the SVS sub. But I can't be happier with the performance. Well done JMLab
But I am using a coaxial cable for the subwoofer (high quality). I am thinking of changing it to the Monster cable 1000 Thx ultra. Do you think it will improve the sound much more. It sounds great right now, but I am still looking forward to a better sound with better cable.

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt if you can hear the diff. by switching cable.

Most people tend to agree that Monster cables are overrated.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
The SW900 is very good. I have had one for about 1.5 years. It just kicks butt. Everything sounds so good and tight. No boom at all. It can go very loud if needed. I will be posting a review hopefully within the next few days so keep a look out. But I can say with out any problem that you or anybody else will not be disappointed with this sub. If you try it, bring your check book.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,
Nice to hear another person in the forum have got the JMlab SW900. I am now hooking it up onto my valve amplifier to listen to music. The result was extraordinary, the bass just reinforce the lack of bass of the bookshelf speaker I have.
I have also tried to hook up a better quality powercord, it I can hear the difference in bass. It goes much lower, and the bass spreads out very well.
However, I decided to put the powercord back into my tube amp, because it doesn't sound as good without it.
:b

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Thats great. I know. I think the Sw900 is the best sub that nobody knows about. The difference from my old sub is just incredible. I have upgrade all my cables except for power cords. That will be the next step. If I can make a suggestion. Think about getting a transparent audio sub cable. It does make a difference. :D

I know what I like when I hear it.

Anyway have fun.
Mike D

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
What model is the transparent sub cable? I can't find it on their website. Also how much is it? and where did you buy it from? Because I live in Australia, therefore the price can be different here than in the US.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the states. I think it retails for about $145. Your best bet is to call them directly. If you call or email them they will reply very quickly. The model number is HPSW15. The number represents the length in feet. They have 15,25,35. Like I said you can call or email and get good, fast service. I did and I got a reply in about an one hour. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks