JMLab Cobalt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I paid a visit to my Bryston dealer looking for information on the 3B and 4B amps. The salesman asked what speakers I plan on powering. I told him I haven't bought my speakers yet but I'm considering bookshelf speakers for under $1500 (Canadian) from the following lines: Energy Veritas, Paradigm Reference, Klipsch Reference, Dynaudio Audience and Totem Acoustic.

Right away he told me that some of the speakers I mentioned were fairly good (he didn't say which ones, but I have an idea). Afterwards he strongly recommended that I make the JMLab Cobalt 806 a possibility. He showed me the speaker and it fit all the criteria above. They look quite nice and there's even a plastic window on the back showing the crossover; quite impressive looking!

I was in a hurry so I couldn't stay to give them a test drive. It's quite a hassle for me to visit this dealer as I don't live in the city. I want to know what people here think of these speakers. Was the salesman just trying to get a sale out of me or was his suggestion a good one? Are these speakers definately worth another trip into the city?

2. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Definitely give the JMLabs a listen. JMLabs is the speaker manufacturing arm of Focal which is justifiably famous for its drivers for both home and car audio.

I have the JMLabs Electra 920.1 towers for my stereo-only system and I love them. I haven't heard the Cobalt series but they should be great too.