JLIP Video Capture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I got a new Camcorder for Xmas, a really nice JVC Digital one. It came with one of those JLIP cables, which plugs into the serial port on my Computer but I'm not sure I get the point of it.

It seems all I can do is control the camera fuctions from the computer and I can take still images.... can I transfer VIDEO clips using the JLIP cable or not? I hope I don't need a DV cable for that. I was hoping I could use the supplied JLIP cable. Any info would help please.

2. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

I'm not really familiar with the JLIP cable system, but I can tell you that there's no way you could transfer video over a serial connection. Most people refuse to transfer MP3's over a serial connection and require at least a USB to do that. This is full motion video which most definately requires an IEEE 1394/Firewire connection to transfer. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

JLIP is a JVC proprietary method of device control(which is cool, I can control my VCR like that [​IMG] ), you need a DV card to capture and edit footage. If you're just looking to do short films, there are several cards (Studio DV, Pyro) that are under $100