JL Gotham 13"x2 sub!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by NickSI, Sep 11, 2006.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

That is a loaded question on this forum [​IMG]

I've read comments from people who have heard the Gotham at shows. They were impressed. IMHO, SVS does not currently make anything directly comparable to the Gotham. When SVS revises the Ultra series with 14 inch drivers, a better comparison will be possible.

After all, the Gotham is about $7,000. It is a super premium product. At least 1900 watts, 305 pounds. And what is that little blurb about "Best Sound" at CEDIA 2004?

I own an SVS subwoofer, so I know good stuff when I hear it. Ron S just wrote up a big post on getting top notch stuff. In this case, SVS simply doesn't have a current model that directly competes with the Gotham.

If Ron disagrees, I'd love to hear his comments.

3. MaRtIn^dB

MaRtIn^dB Extra

the Gotham is power personified...a few months ago, i was looking at putting together a sealed dual 13w7, subwoofer, as this sub has nearly the same Vd as a Tumult 15d2, which is what i was using at the time...in the end, the price and real estate needed just did'nt make the grade...an expensive DIY project on every level, at least for me...went with a pair of 15" tc-3000's instead..."impressive" is the subjective opinions associated with the Gotham...at least the few i've encountered...even the Fathom is well regarded...the pricing however...

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Considering its size and power, it isn't likely that anything below $3000 is going to touch it. The specs are a little lacking on the site though.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

For that kind of money, I would prefer dual Velodyne DD-18's though.

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Actually I thought they included some of the most revealing specifications:
    Effective Piston Area: 214.70 sq. in. / 0.1386 sq. m.
    Effective Displacement: 773 cu. in. / 12.7 liters

That's a little more displacement than my 4x15 IB has!

To get 12.7L out of these 2 woofers they're allowing about 46mm travel in each direction!!!

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

They don't have any absolute extension, though I am sure it is well below 20hz, i just like to know these things. I used to look a THD's maybe I am just being silly.

If these drivers are anything like the W7's which they appear to be then that doesn't surprise me on the travel. Though that excursion on such a large driver does impress.