Jl Audio for the home

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by WilliamPC, Sep 18, 2004.

1. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

Has anyone heard of or checked out JL Audio's home gear.
    There new sub, Gotham, packs 2 W7 subs (one of the best car subs ever) and 3800 watts....

Go to jlaudio.com and check out. I would like to hear some opinions.

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Looks like a winner.

3. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

The cabinet shape reminds me of some high end Tannoys. That thing sure is heavy. Spendy no doubt.

4. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I am a bit suspicious of the amplification power claim and the complete lack of a frequency response claim.

As for the automatic EQ, I prefer to do it manually using computer software for a thorough analysis and complete control. For a more integrated solution, I prefer Velodyne's on-screen approach, which allows the user to monitor the frequency response. A completely blind EQ solution that works well? I don't think we're quite there yet (includes home theater receivers).

I own three JL car audio products.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I think I looked at the whole site and could not find what you are talking bout. Could someone please provide a link?

James

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

James,

JLs prototype home subwoofers were demonstrated at CEDIA, but the release isn't expected until the 1st half of 2005.

As such, you probably won't find much information on them on the JL website. You will probably find some coverage on the various e-zine sites that have CEDIA reports.

I agree that the JLs are on the expensive side, but they also were good in the demo on Sunday that I heard. Unlike a lot of demos with subwoofers, they didn't have them at a level I call "stupid hot". For the first couple of selections (the first was an acoustic jazz trio) the subwoofers were flat, for the last 3 selections it was +3dB. I've been in demos where the subs are as much as +10dB hot.

It will be interesting to see how they stack up once they are actually released to market.

Regards,

7. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

John,

I gotta tell ya, I love this term! It's great to start the week with a laugh.

Someone should make a sign tha reads...

"Caution...subs running STUPID HOT". [​IMG]

8. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Hrm, well I'm sure they will be nice. Most JL audio products are.

But like alot of B&M brands there is equal quality products or near performance for 1/2-2/3 the price online. This thing is $7,500, you could buy 2 PB4+'s for that.

The W7's can be matched by online companies like Adire's Brahma sub, Resonant Engineerings XXX sub and Elemental Designs A series. All of which offer better cost:performance ratio than the W7.

I have 2 JL W6's myself, but after buying a Resonant Engineering HC for 1/3 the price and much more performance and > SQ. I doubt I will buy a JL audio sub again. They are nice, not knocking JL. But, the online companies are really giving them a run for their money, atleast in the car audio department.

IMO

9. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Stunt Coordinator

That is the trouble not only with audio shows but in most retail showroom setups. They all tend to run the subs so hot that it ruins your impression. The sales guys think its impressive but IMO its the opposite.

PC