JL Audio Car Sub With Plate amp?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mark.greger, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mark.greger

mark.greger Auditioning

Question for all of you great tech guys.... Is it possible to use a set of JL audio w3 12 inch subs for a home theater? Would I need a plate amp and what size if so? Just curious because I have a set in a sealed box just sittin in my closet. Thanks!!

2. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

the only jl i would think about for running home theater would be the w7 even then i dont know how great it would be for it.

3. mark.greger

mark.greger Auditioning

why wouldn't it work? just curious. is there a problem with the ohms or power output? Why would they sound awesome in a car but not on a home audio system?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Because the drivers designed for a car are generally designed with cabin gain in mind due to the relatively small spaces they are going to be used. These subs generally don't work well in a room where cabin gain isn't as much of a factor. It WILL work, but it may not work well. Just make sure if the sub is 4 Ohm or less that the amp can handle that impedance.

5. BonnerK

BonnerK Auditioning

While an individual driver's construction is ever-important to how it sounds, the enclosure it's in makes probably the most difference when comparing subwoofers. The box your JL's are in may not be ideal for a home environment...it may be too peaky, for example.

My Adire Tempest 15" works equally well in the car or in the HT. I got great results using it IB in my car, and equally pleasing (yet with a different goal in mind) output from a large vented box in my HT. Currently, it in a smaller sealed alignment (2.3 cu ft), and I like it just as well.

Your W3's probably need about 150-200 watts each to be satisfying (depending on listening tastes). I would recommend a basic Parts Express plate amp, about 500 watts should be plenty.

Good luck!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Re the cabin gain factor, many car subs count on that to get “free” extension. The problem moving them to a large room is that they won’t go nearly as low as they would in the car.

I know some JL’s are made to get good extension in a small enclosure. If those are the ones you have, and you used a larger enclosure, they might do okay then, although I don’t know what the effect would be on SQ. You might bet a better idea of that by posting a question on our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum. Lots or speaker experts there.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt