What's new

JJ Abrams-produced Monster movie (Codename: Cloverfield) (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am sorry that they did not show this before my screening of Transformers. That was a very effective teaser and has me wanting to know more. I often wish that they would only show this kind of teaser when promoting a movie.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It is certainly an effective trailer. It has me wanting to see the movie.

I am worried that the hand-held camera shots used for the entire movie will be very hard to watch.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Paul, for posting the link to the Quicktime files. Before that, the only version I could find was one of the camcorded versions on YouTube, in such bad quality I couldn't even see the Statue of Liberty.

That is an intriguing trailer. I'm looking forward to the film now.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Major spoiler alert:

From what I read, this is based on the Cthulu mythos. THe problem I see with the film is that in typical Abrams style, you don't actually SEE it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Cthulhu
would make sense. This would be the first such mainstream film then, I suppose?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Hand held as in Blair Witch style? after 10-15 minutes I don't notice anymore. its like watching a black and white film. Although I know others are less forgiving.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't bothered by the style but I was 'seasick' by the end of Blair Witch from all the movement. I'll be sitting in the back of the theater (being farther away from the screen offsets the seasickness for me :) ) when I see this one.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Ah ha! Well let's just go with the ISO 8601 standard and call it 2008.01.18 for short. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm late to the party since I just saw this online, but I thought the trailer was crazy good. I only know Abrams from Lost and Alias, but those two are enough to give me hope for this one. It reminds me of what I like about the Dead films: people going about their normal lives and then BAM! Some weird, city-emptying shit happens.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I am so in agreement with you. Love the behind the scenes thing but up to a point. Need to see something more than just flying debris or loud monster sounds. Still interested though.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Judging by the one time I saw the teaser in the theater it seemed pretty obvious that they were "emulating" the video look instead of something like Blair Witch where they actually used low-budget video cameras because that's all they could actually do.

It's obviously full-blown professional equipment (whether it be some form of 35mm or a professional HD vid camera) with some kind of filter put over it, so I think we might get a much more "controlled chaos" kind of camera rather than how an actual hand-held camera would end up looking.

Cthulu might actually work, based on what little I know about the thing, anyway. I really should read some of that stuff someday.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I don't think this has been posted here, but apparently, along the same vein as Lost, there's now a viral marketing thing going on for the film:

http://www.1-18-08.com/

and

http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/

The second website is actually kind of freaky and, in line with the mentioned rumor, does seem to have a very Lovecraftian
vibe to it.

I can figure out the first puzzle on the second website, but haven't figured out the second yet.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It has been, but J.J.A. recently said that the Ethan Hawk site has nothing to do with Cloverfield. It is for an unrelated video game called Alpha Omega. The gamers must be laughing their way to the bank, riding on the buzz of something else.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's been years since I've read any Lovecraft, then again, in college friends of mine put on their graduate play ("Delta Sigma Cthulu") and I read enough for research for that thing that I can pick it up. I'm not sure how the film would/will play out. The trailer is interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks