What's new

JJ Abrams-produced Monster movie (Codename: Cloverfield) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yeah, but we're talking about it quite a bit already and it just premiered 2 days ago. :) Pretty savvy marketing if you asked me.

Certainly revealing the name is a nice gesture :D but truthfully I wish more teasers were just that. Short teasers that don't give everything away.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Tim, I think the performance of Snakes on a Plane proved just how valuable people talking on the Internet about a film is (not at all).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wow - Blair Witch Project II. I can hardly wait. . . . I think not!

Never seen any of his stuff and that "trailer" looked dreadful (in a sea of dreadful movie trailers, only reaffirming why I dont go to movies anymore). No thanks, I'll give it a big miss.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Again, giant monster movie trailer in front of Transformers- we'd be talking about it anyway.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Looks like the movie is written by Drew Goddard (Buffy, Angel, Alias, Lost) so I have some faith, he wrote two of my favorite Season 7 Buffy episodes, "Conversations with Dead People" and "Lies my Parents Told Me".
JJ is one of my favorite writers/directors/producers working today, so I'm really interested to see what comes of this, he and the others at Bad Robot know how to market things to get us to talk, witness "Lost".

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I really liked this trailer, but my Transformers crowd gave it a huge boo. I was unimpressed with MI3, but I'd probably see this movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, J.J. Abrams is only the producer of the movie. After Mission: Impossible III, he had time to co-write an episode of Lost and then he went on to the new Star Trek movie so I think his actual involvement with this movie is slim.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I dunno. The handheld casual feel really sold it for me as something pretty different than what we've seen so far. I also think a slice of life disaster of Manhattan trailer with nothing else attached is pretty ballsy, even this long after 9/11.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I loved Alias. Hated MI3, because it was just like Alias.

This looks like something Abrams has not done before, so it could be good. Even if he is just producer, the important part is that this he won't be repeating himself with whatever he contributes. Unless the monster is made of smoke.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I thought the head seemed kinda small, although I really don't have a good sense of its actual size, since you never see it in relation to anything. (I heard they are debating whether to let people back inside it.) If the guys did their homework, I guess it's the right size.

As for the January release date: since so much of the crap the studios release in the summer are supposed to be "good" movies, maybe the reverse will work in our favor.

The no-name trick certainly got me to pay more attention.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Yes, the head was approximately the correct size.

I, for one, am extremely interested in the experimental nature of this film. How to convincingly portray a giant monster using only camcorder-style footage.

Kind of reminds me of one of the Gamera updates, where we see most of destruction from the human pov, in the back ground. Love that kind of stuff.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer a couple of times and if you ask me, it sounded like Lost. If you recall the first episode when they land on the island, a roar is heard and the trees are shaking as if there's some large creature there. We hear this roar a few times.

Since this film opens in January, is it a coincidence that Lost's Season 4 opens January too? Perhaps there's a connection with this film and Lost. The roar and destruction in New York could be some kind of reaction to when Desmond released the energy build up in the hatch and it had global effects. Just a crazy theory and my 2 cents.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Lost doesn't return until February IIRC. And Lost is ABC and therefore Disney. No way does Paramount use their prime trailer spot in front of their biggest movie of the summer (and perhaps year) to promote any tie-ins with a TV show on a Disney owned network.

*If* it is the same noise then it's probably the result of something like using the same sound designer on both the show and movie.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That's an adrenaline-rush inducing preview!

So was the monster carrying around the head of the Statue of Liberty for later use, or did it swim (or leap?) out to Liberty Island? I'm guessing from the art on the ethanhaaswasright.com website that the monster either has really long, stretchy tentacles (you can sort of see many-tentacled things inside the orb) or there's several of them.

Aerial view w/Liberty Island highlighted:
http://local.google.com/local?q=40.6...&iwloc=A&hl=en

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks