1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D Blu-ray Review Jivaro 3D Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Mar 4, 2019.

1. MitchellD

MitchellD Agent

Speaking as someone who has actually seen an advanced copy of this new 3D Bluray of Jivaro at the 3D Film Archive's screening room (thank you Bob) I was more than pleased with the restoration and 3D mastering. Another fine job, everyone who was happy with prior Blurays mastered by the 3DFA will be more than pleased with this one.

I have always enjoyed Jivaro, and it will be a treat to own it in a few weeks when the Bluray is released.

2. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Got my Jivaro (courtesy Hamilton Books in Connecticut). Paid $31.58 to get it a week early and it was worth every penny. I'll probably be viewing it so many times (next time I listen to the commentary track) that I'll be amortizing that cost down to $1 per viewing pretty quickly.

Folks, this blu ray is outstanding. Literally. The Paramount logo and opening credits protrude halfway into your living room. At times you'll think you're in the jungle with the characters. And you haven't seen Rhonda Fleming until you've seen her in this. :P

Another gorgeously rendered triumph from the good people at 3DFA.

Jivaro.....

[​IMG]

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I can’t wait!! I’m trying to clear everything I have off the deck so I can just pop it in after work on the day it arrives!

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep. When those credits came right at my face and were sitting halfway between me and the TV, I got the biggest ol' smile on my face that didn't leave it for the entire running time of the movie.

Camps, Jeff Flugel and Josh Steinberg like this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Received this yesterday and watched last night. Another wonderful classic 3D film with a mostly great presentation considering the age of the film. I noticed a few scenes where the left eye didn't seem as clear as the right eye. I assume this has something to do with the elements used, though I haven't found anything that really discusses the elements or the limitations in restoration. I find this is a relatively common occurrence with these classic 3D films, so I think it must just be down to the condition of the elements and limitations of restoration.

There was also one brief scene with badly out-of-sync audio. It's the scene on the boat just after Rio has served Alice that horrible meal that he's so proud of, and she's dumping it over the side into the river. Alice's line is delivered without her mouth moving, then her mouth moves a couple seconds later to no sound. It only happened that one time, for that one line, so I'm not sure what that's about. Anyone else notice this, or is it just a glitch in my system?

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    IIRC, it was like that on the master Bob previewed for me, so it's not your disc or setup but the original material.

Malcolm R likes this.
  7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Not a huge deal, but it seems odd it wasn't mentioned in the disc review, and it seems like it would be a simple thing to fix with today's audio editing software and such.

8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    That audio anomaly was on the track master that we received from Paramount and so far as we know, is present in the original mix. We did not have a 1954 optical track element for reference so rather than change something that might have always been there, we let it remain.

Jimbo64, B-ROLL, phillyrobt and 3 others like this.
  9. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    It's got to be a tough call on some of those - but like the doctors... first rule-Do No Harm
    Thanks for all you and your teams work.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    It IS a tough call because we all heard it. The sync issue even got flagged by the good people at Duplitech, our replication facility.

I listened to it over and over and over again. Not to toot my own horn, but I know audio pretty well. (I've got a few RIAA certified gold records to my credit.) I could hear no signs whatsoever of damage, looping or other signs of post-production tampering and without having an original 1954 optical track element for reference, I have to assume they screwed up on the original mix.

B-ROLL and phillyrobt like this.
  11. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    A few gold records? Please tell.

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    From the Capitol Records years. Not the best image but you get the idea.

20190326_154331.

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I want to be Bob when I grow up! :D

I just got the email from UPS that a package was delivered at my house. There's only one thing that could be in it. I cannot wait!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    My copy was delivered today as well!

BTW Bob, very cool!!!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  15. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    You're on HTF - You'll never grow up!
    [​IMG]

B-ROLL, TravisR, Matt Hough and 2 others like this.
  16. Craig999

Craig999 Auditioning

Craig
    Watched my copy last night. Fantastic picture quality! More pot boiler stuff than I remember, but basically I LOVED IT! Just wish Lon Chaney Jr. had a bit more screen time.

Timothy Bodzioney likes this.
  17. Clayking38

Clayking38 Agent

Rich
    I watched it last night and really loved it. Part of my enjoyment was from the charisma of the two stars and the able supporting cast. The 3D was outstanding. One "at you" shot literally had me ducking, but there were just enough of those type of shots for novelty and not that many as to be overdone. Terrific restoration, keep them coming!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Deep Discount has a sale on 3D titles and you can add 15% off with the promo code FRANKNFURTER
    Jivaro is only $16.99 with the discount.

19. Message #39 of 62 Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Nice job, 3DFA!

JIVARO was a staple of New York's WOR-TV in the 60's (in black and white), and I watched it several times on Million Dollar Movie but remember nothing about it from my youth. Not a memorable film for a boy, I guess.

This release is a revelation. I've always loved jungle settings in adventure films, even if stage-bound, and the greens in the foliage here are brilliant. Flesh tones sometimes are overly saturated toward red and orange, but the image throughout is sharp as tack. The story is rather tepid, but a good cast kept me from checking the remaining time every ten minutes. The 3D is fun and beautifully restored. Without it, this film would be mediocre at best.

What a weird and (to my ears) an often inappropriate music score! (I don't like the score for THE AFRICAN QUEEN much, either, another jungle film with a dilapidated boat and two lovers aboard).

Marvin Miller as a Jivaro chief is a hoot!

Terrific commentary, guys.

Keep 'em comin'!

Bob Furmanek and Camps like this.
  20. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Listening to the commentary, Jack Theakston reveals that the right eye scan came from the original camera negative. Bob, is this the side used when we select the 2D option ? The 2D sure looks good.

Malcolm R likes this.