What's new

Pre-Order Jivaro (1954) (3D Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bob gave me and a couple of the regulars a preview of this on his home setup last night and I have to say it's a beauty. As expected, the restoration team did a fine job with the usual problematic elements (fade, etc.) where only the opticals (short cut, thankfully) looked anything less than good. The 3-D photography is phenomenal! While I don't really want to 'place' it in a list, it's easily in the top 10 for me in terms of photographic & technical skill. Nearly every shot is staged for maximum engagement, while at the same time never calling attention other than the obvious off-screen effects (of which there are a good number - the shrunken head is pretty effective). We sampled a few minutes of the commentary, which sounds like an engaging talk. A unique extra presents a shot by shot 3-D breakdown of a lengthy scene with information about the lens used and the interaxial/convergence specs direct from the original camera reports. It's fascinating and I look forward to checking it out in detail as it demonstrates the care that went into shooting these films in the 50's. The film itself is a good jungle adventure/romance. It takes a little while to get going, but livens up once Rhonda Fleming arrives. Lon Chaney's scene is a lot of fun and I was hoping he had more to do. The music score is a bit of a distraction as it's trying too hard.
Vintage 3-D movie fans should get this without hesitation. Folks who have only seen modern 3-D films need to check this out and see how it *should* be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks