Jitter Attacks Steely Dan Album

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    For those of you who disagreed with me on the importance of minimizing jitter (time based distortion in digital audio), please read the following article by Dan engineer Roger Nichols.

Also note we are talking about pressing jitter here...

http://www.rogernichols.com/EQ/EQ_2000_02.html

[​IMG]

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Wow. Given the significant number who believe "bits is bits", I would have expected more commentary. I am glad people are reading it though.

[​IMG]

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

So, is the only ultimate solution a jitter-defeating, multi-thousand dollar CD player?

Leaving aside for the moment the question of how many CD pressing plants are, in essence, "jitter factories", reading this article (and some of the commentary on the Steve Hoffman forums) has made me face an issue that I've intentionally avoided up till now... the variability of quality in burned CD-Rs. Is my software/CD writer/CD media/etc. creating jitter in my burned copies? How do I avoid this?

And, conversely, is there a silver lining? That is, can I extract/reburn purchased CDs to CD-Rs and eliminate jitter that's been introduced in the "plating phase" or whatever it's called?

This is a gargantuan kettle of scary fish.

4. Michael St. Clair

I've never disputed the audibility or existence of jitter, I've simply stated that proper ripping and burning does not create a 'plus one' effect (where jitter accumulates and worsens over multiple generations). That is not to say that a burned copy will not have its own jitter; of course it can but it won't be accumulated with any jitter from the source disc used.

To eliminate jitter on your rips, use Exact Audio Copy for ripping, and use a reading drive that supports the 'Accurate Stream' feature (practically any drive from the last couple of years does...and EAC can auto detect this feature).

As far as burning goes, some would recommend the Yammy CRW-F1. Yep, those guys only have it refurb...the drive isn't available any more...discontinued...was notorious for failing within the first year. Here is Yamaha's page.

Some people will tell you to only burn with a Plextor, and to only burn with 1x or 2x. That's not always the case. Here are some jitter tests on my burner. Sometimes higher speeds have less jitter than some slower speeds. Also, most speeds on this drive have less jitter than any speed on a Plextor from a couple of years ago. The drives are getting better and better. Don't trust anybody who tells you that his discs have less jitter because he burns at 1x on some old Plextor.

Note that the redbook spec for jitter is 35ns or less. For whatever that is worth.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Good bed time story Lee,good nite![​IMG]

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Interesting article thanks for the link Lee. I love the part where he says that his MiniDisc copy of the original master sounded better than the test pressing.[​IMG]

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Michael,

I think you are missing the point. I am not concerned about your "plus one" effect, I am providing an example of real world problems from time based distortion.