What's new

Jimi Hendrix voted the greatest Guitar Player EVER!!! (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be hard to argue that point. Even if you don't think he was the best its hard to argue that his sound has ever been recreated.
Not one female guitarist was ranked among the top 100
Not a huge fan but I was surprised Bonnie Raitt was not up there.
One last observation, I was surprised that Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Jerry Garcia did not rank above the first 8 mentioned. Its so subjective though I guess thats why they are fun to discuss. Good topic. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
OK, I know this is subjective and hard to argue but Slash at #4? Ahead of Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughn? I'm sorry, but I just don't see that. Personally, Santana and Stevie Ray would round out my top 5 after Hendrix, Clapton and Page in that order.

Where's Eddie Van Halen on that list?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
EVH was in the Top 10, as I remember. But Slash ahead of EVH??

I guess I will remain the Greatest Air Guitar Player of All Time. Geez, it's so lonely at the top....

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Slash at no. 4 is hard to swallow. can't really argue with the top 3 though, bearing in mind this can be quite subjective and YMMV. personally, as Jed said, I would've placed Gilmour higher than 8.

Kurt Cobain at 14? bleh.

I wonder where the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai were placed?

TheoGB

Screenwriter
"These are some of the loudest and fastest players in the world. They eat indie bands for breakfast. It's like grunge and Britpop never happened," he said.
Hmm. Yeah except none of them seem to have a tune!!
Loudest? Fastest? Surely that's a bit of a weird thing to have quoted. Jimi was never that fast and by today's standards not usually that loud.
I couldn't disagree with Jimi's placing though. I guess it's how you rate a guitarist. Kurt Cobain never seemed to care about technical brilliance (and that's a GOOD thing :D) but he's probably one of the top 5 songwriters of all time, for me.
Other than that I'd be interested to know where Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood (the most inventive guitarist I've seen) and Blur's Graham Coxon lay, if anywhere...
But then so often these lists seem to be about technical brilliance lying way over actually raw excitement or originality and inventiveness. I don't personally find a very smooth and well-executed blues solo to be that impressive...

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Interesting list. But Jimi's choice for best guitarist ever was Phil Keaggy.
---------------------

Can this comment be substantiated? Absent proof I consider this just another rumor.

On the other hand, perhaps Albert Einstein thought one of his contemporaries was more intelligent than he. However, the masses would probably disagree.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

DOn't know about Yngwie (should have been at least in the top 5 if you ask me!) or Coxon but Satriani and Vai both placed in the top 20, and Greenwood was at number 35. Here's the top 20:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Eric Clapton
4. Slash
5. Brian May
6. Joe Satriani
7. Eddie Van Halen
8. Dave Gilmour
9. Kirk Hammett
10. Steve Vai
11. Carlos Santana
12. James Hetfield
13. Tom Morello
14. Kurt Cobain
15. Mark Knopfler
16. Zakk Wylde
17. Gary Moore
18. Jeff Beck
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan
20. Angus Young

Glad to see Gary Moore in the 17th spot, I love his guitar playing.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I just listened to Jimi's Axis:Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland recently and I will say Jimi at #1 is still is underrated. Jimi Hendrix was just too great.

If you are/were a big fan of Jimi Hendrix you would know he never said Phil Kaeggy was better, Jimi would inject a word here and there after a riff basically saying "I am the baddest mutha and you guys know it."

I just can't see Gilmour as far down as #8 and SRV at 19? I don't think so.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Stevie and Carlos should both be in the top 5. James Hetfield at #12??? LOL! People are voting on name recognition only. I like Metallica but James doesn't play much guitar. Cobain at #14 is also a joke. Great songwriter but not a great guitar player. This list is more of a most popular guitarist, not best guitarist.

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
My favorites are Yngwie Malmsteen (self titled), Randy Rhoads (early Ozzy), John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Joe Satriani (self titled and G3), Steve Vai (self titled and G3), Michael Angelo (self titled), Michael Romero (Symphony X)

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
No Eric Johnson in the top 20 either. I can't believe some of the other people are that high. Namely Slash, Hetfield (I love old Metallica, hate the new stuff), Kurt Cobain, Angus Young.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
No jazz or blues guitarists: :thumbsdown:
Wes Montgomery, Albert King, John McLaughlin, B.B. King, Grant Green, Charlie Christian, Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Jim Hall, Al DiMeola, T-Bone Walker, Michael Stern, Muddy Waters, Pat Methany...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, these are the readers of that magazine that vote, and I imagine the readers are more interested in heavy-rock oriented well-known guitarists, than any other kind of guitarplayers.

/Mike

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Eric Clapton
4. Slash
5. Brian May
6. Joe Satriani
7. Eddie Van Halen
8. Dave Gilmour
9. Kirk Hammett
10. Steve Vai
11. Carlos Santana
12. James Hetfield
13. Tom Morello
14. Kurt Cobain
15. Mark Knopfler
16. Zakk Wylde
17. Gary Moore
18. Jeff Beck
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan
20. Angus Young
------------------------

It would be interesting to see a jam session with all of these guitarist on stage to hear them soloing against each other. It would be even more interesting if no guitarist could use any technique or riff created by any of the other participants.

BTW where is George Benson? I would put Kurt Cobain in a category along with Bob Dylan. Good songwriter, so so guitar player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks