What's new

Jim Van Bebber screaming messages from Don May's answering machine (1 Viewer)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
I bought the Manson Family Region 2 Anchor Bay 2 disk set simply for the 'Belly of the Beast' documentry as it included sections where Richard (Hardware, Dust Devil) Stanley talks about his films.

I watched Manson Family once and was not very impressed at all.

Jim Van Bebber obviously has a lot of passion for his work, but dear god! he's a bad director. Manson Family was like watching a Russ Myer film directed by Ed Wood, a very painful experiance.

Sorry to thread cr@p, but I had to get that off my chest.

Maybe I should phone Jim Van Bebber and leave some messages on his answering machine?

iamfromdayton2

Auditioning
Real Name
miguel
I know I am super late on this, I am an avid convention goer, and have heard of these messages for a long time, as I am from Dayton as well, Jims films are important to me, there are many critics, like with any film, you like what you like, thats all there is to it. Personally I have to say seeing a lot of the garbage Hollywood is and has been churning out, you gotta give Jim credit, for taking the chance to make a film and pursue his love as a fulltime career. I have to say thank you for keeping these alive for so long. Jim really is a wonderful person at his core, however, just like the rest of us human beings he can have his pitfalls. Deadbeat at Dawn is one of my favorite films of all time. I love the fact that it was shot here, and if you take a trip around downtown you can see the same landmarks through out the film (Downtown, Huffman Dam Scene, Woodlawn Cemetery), and it adds a whole new light to my viewing experience, for me it was shot in my back yard. I can understand Jim being upset if he truly thought the transfer was bad, however that doesnt mean that he reacted in an appropriate manner, and as far as I am concerned this film should never be in crystal clear hd quality as I think it would take away from the feel of the film. The Dayton I know is kind of grimy, and definately has a rough feel depending on where you go around here. Anyone want to see for themselves take a stroll down Main St. and just stop and actually look around, if that doesnt do it for ya, try to find DeSoto Bass, if that doesnt show you the dark side of Dayton, where the f&*# are you from man?. Again I have to thank you for putting these recordings up, as I have personally asked Don at a few conventions if he could dig em up and post em again, but to no avail. Jim and alcohol should definately not mix, don't know if anyone went to Cinema Wasteland a while back, but all I can really remember of Jim is him drunk, shouting obscenities, threatening to fight fans, and the dissaproving looks from H.G. Lewis lol. In fact if you watch the interview with him on the Deadbeat at Dawn special features, just keep an eye on the table behind him... as the interview progresses try to count how many empty beer bottles stack up, I am sure there has to be a drinking game there somewhere in that interview that would be fun with a group of friends.... anyway, I hope your links stay alive for another 10 years so that fans like myself can complete their collection of Jim Van Bebber with these hilarious recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks