Jim Sheridan to remake Kurosawa's 'Ikiru'

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nick Sievers, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

From Variety

This is my favorite Kurosawa film and one of the best films ever made and I don't particulary like the idea of Hanks in the lead role.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Well, regardless of the outcome, the original will remain undiminished. And Kurosawa remakes have led to some good films, notably The Magnificent Seven and A Fistful of Dollars.

The idea of setting the story in contemporary New York is intriguing and suggests that they will have to invent a lot of new material, given the enormous differences in era and culture. Richard Price is a great choice for the job.

M.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Might be good, might suck. I really love Sheridan's latest movie, In America, so I hope he can bottle some of that and put it to work in this case.

Interesting note from the In America DVD: in his commentary track, Sheridan says that when some people told him that the shots of Mateo on the swingset (especially right near the end of the movie) reminded them of Ikiru, his response was basically, "oh yeah, I guess it is like that, I hadn't even realized it."

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

In America was brilliant at conjuring the mystical and fantastic out of the mundane. That bodes well for any Akira Kurosawa film remake.