What's new

Jigsaw (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No thread on this one? I can't be the only one who saw (ha) it. Not bad, had some silly character decisions but I kinda liked it. Good Dolby Cinema use =)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw it and thought it was something that Saw fans will like. My complaint was that the other Saw movies actually did a great job of feeling like they all existed in the same world and with this movie, the story felt more like they were just throwing a new element on top of the existing movies' stories rather than having it feel like a part of the other movies. To be fair, I don't know that having it feel like another piece in a whole would be possible after having wrapped the movies up before.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Funny, I'm going to go see it tonight, and was thinking I should start a thread here afterwards. Just barely beat me to it.

I was disappointed in the last couple Saw films, especially the god awful last one, so I have no real expectations going into this one. Just thought I'd keep up the tradition of seeing every Saw film in the theater. I know they are looked down upon, but I always enjoyed the amazingly consistent continuity, as Travis said you really feel like each new sequel truly exists within the same world as the last, and they always got the same actors to come back and reprise their roles (Luke Danes does a GREAT job as an FBI agent in IV and V). I didn't enjoy the graphic violence, but it was all just so much soap opera fun, following it year-to-year. I kind of miss it in a weird way. I wonder if they're trying to re-start doing the year-after-year thing again with this one.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I just got back from the theater and it was just the kind of fun I could've hoped from a Saw movie. I liked that it had a surprisingly lighter tone than the original run of films. It wasn't nearly as ominous or have an overall depressing feel as a Saw movie usually has. I've always been quite the sucker for the silly twists they throw in. I was ALMOST on the heels of some of the twists in this new one but just fell short of putting it all together, which is how I prefer it. I don't like seeing the endings coming. I still say that the original Saw has one of the best twist endings in the history of cinema, and it's only the fact that it's a part of this kind of horror series that keeps it off all the "Best Twist Endings" lists I come across online. I don't know how much money it is making at the box office, but it apparently only had a $10 Million budget, so maybe well get another one or two. I wouldn't mind.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched this one yesterday. Nothing ground-breaking, but a decent entry in the franchise. Probably the least bloody entry since the first film.

I think I read that they've green-lit two more movies. Not sure when they'll be made, though the next film was reported to still be in early script development last month so it's unlikely to come out this year.

Jigsaw made about $103 million worldwide vs. the $10m budget, so it did OK.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched this one yesterday. Nothing ground-breaking, but a decent entry in the franchise. Probably the least bloody entry since the first film.

I think I read that they've green-lit two more movies. Not sure when they'll be made, though the next film was reported to still be in early script development last month so it's unlikely to come out this year.

Jigsaw made about $103 million worldwide vs. the $10m budget, so it did OK.
Ok?? I’d call that great. :eek:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ok?? I’d call that great. :eek:
Within the franchise (8 films), that was the second-lowest worldwide total (after Saw 6; $68 million worldwide). So judged against the franchise, it was OK. But, yes, it likely made a nice profit.

The next sequel will push the franchise total over $1 Billion worldwide (currently at $976 million vs. cumulative production budgets of $77 million).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve only seen the first one and remember little other than Cary Elwes giving a terrible performance. I own them all but just haven’t had the urge to watch them. Do they get better or worse?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I’ve only seen the first one and remember little other than Cary Elwes giving a terrible performance. I own them all but just haven’t had the urge to watch them. Do they get better or worse?
Personally, I like the second movie the most but I think the first three are definitely the best entries in the series. The rest range from OK to lousy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks