JFK (any good?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have been debating on buying JFK but wondered if it was any good, which version to get, and/if a reissue is in the works?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The current 2-disc set is a reissue. It's an excellent presentation of the film in a director's cut.
    The original release was a flipper, featured the theatrical cut, and had 2.0 surround. I'd be surprised if you could even find it for sale, except maybe used.
    Given Stone's penchant for revisiting his films, no one can say there'll never be another version, but I'd be surprised if it happened anytime soon.
    M.

3. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Steve I also debated for a long time as to whether or not I should pick up the disc. I finally did and it is great. Picture and sound are excellent. The commentary by Stone is quite interesting. The only thing wrong is the packaging. What to do with that second disc stuck inside the flap of the snapper case.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The packaging is pathetic.

Despite the packaging, I just want to say the transfer is very nice and filmlike. It would have been great to have some other type of documentary of JFK, but I know there's a lot out there to get if one really wanted.

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But it was widescreen letterboxed only.

7. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

The transfer on this disc is very nice. Highly worth picking up. What is it, like $15? Can't lose really.

8. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I would definately get the 2-disc director's cut version from the Oliver Stone Collection. The transfer is good, it has a commentary, and it is a NON-flipper. The biggest problem with the reissue is that the packaging is awful. Disc 2 comes inside of this paper envelope and it is stuck inside of this flap of the case. The reissue also has two very interesting audio essays on disc 2. I have seen the older verison of JFK in stores, but I haven't bought or seen the disc because I heard that the transfer is horrible and I believe that the only bonus feature is the theatrical trailer. I am positive that the older disc is the director's cut also.

I seriously doubt that we will see another reissue anytime soon, so the new disc should be safe to buy.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I have around 150 DVD's (a small number compared to many others on this board, I know) but the remastered JFK: Director's Cut is easily one of my favourites. Great transfer, excellent commentary track, strong extras. Definitely get this disc.

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The picture quality of the newer 2-disc set is light years ahead of the older flipper edition, apart from its having supplementary materials. Sharper, better color, and the intro is not full-screen as it was before; now it occcupies a smaller 1.33:1 "square" in the center of the screen, which makes the "opening up" to the film proper (similar to that in MAD MAX) more impressive.

12. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I just put Disc 2 in a separate case. Oh well.

13. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I agree it's an excellent DVD.

I was very impressed with the sound quality. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

Great transfer also.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...thumbs up across the board from me. Great movie, Great transfer, Great sound, Great extras!

15. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Okay picture, but the LD had better framing. I compared the two, and the LD has more image. The sound was kind of bad in one spot too, with a popping noise heard. Other than that it is fine. I would still like a future re-release though.

16. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

To all those who don't like the case, I suggest you visit http://www.inetdvd.com/ and buy a two-disc Amaray case. Then visit http://www.dvdcoverart.com/ and download the custom cover. I did this, and now I can't find a single thing to complain about this movie OR the way in which it's presented. [​IMG]

17. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Just popped this one in the other night again.It's one of those movies that once it starts it's hard to turn off.Whether you believe what Stone suggests or not it's still an incredible film and the 2-disc DC is a must buy.By the way,someone on the forum sent me a cover scan but I can't remmember who it was.You may want to ask around if you decide to buy it and the packaging bothers you.

18. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I would definitely get the Oliver Stone Collection version. Sure, the packaging stinks but is that why we buy dvds? Please. I think the transfer is awesome (as are most of the WB dvds in the OS Collection), the commentary is one of the best i've heard, and its got damn good extras. All this and the movie is top-notch also. A no-brainer, lad.

19. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

If the packaging is an issue, one can always download the cover from my site and put it in a 2-disc slim keepcase [​IMG]

20. Jeff-

Jeff- Extra

My only beef withthe 2 disk set is that it lacked the Scotish Snare Drums playing over the opening sequence like the theatrical version and original VHS and DVD release had. But, it may bother me only because I am a percussionist and enjoyed that original sequence very much.