1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Jewel's 0304 in DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason Garrett, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

I was checking out Jewel's 0304 yesterday and trying to listen to it in 2 channel "pure audio" mode to give her new sound a proper audition and half way through it I just couldn't stand it and had to turn on Pro Logic II to see what it would sound like. To me it's just that kind of music. I start thinking, wow this would make a great DVD-A so I get on the net to check and see if there was a DVD-A released like with Faith Hill and no go. Do you think it's because it takes a while to mix the DVD-A surround tracks and they are in a rush to release the album? Anyway, I see that there is a recent thread dealing with the "why no DVD-A's" question so I guess this is just more of a statement than anything. It just really sucks if you ask me that everyone seems to agree to come out with a new format and then they don't put in the resources to bring out new material that seems perfect for it.

2. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

Very few new releases are put on DVD-A so I woulnd't make any bets of seeing this one anytime soon. Also i have to say I think this is by far her WORST album.. there are very few good tracks and the one on the radio is the only hit of the whole bunch. I think her other 3 albums are great and would be better served with one of them on DVD-A rather then this one!

3. Jason Garrett

Well, to each his own I suppose. It is on it's way to being the number one album next week and her highest debut ever so I guess "the lights are on for the masses." I think that some of her more acoustic stuff would make a great DVD-A for the high rez stereo tracks, but to me this is the kind of music that lends itself to 5.1 discrete surround (if properly mixed.) I mean it's not like you've got an acoustic guitar floating around the room or shooting from one corner to the other. That may work for some albums or other people's taste though, so again to each his own.

I don't know I guess I shouldn't complain too much cuz I don't spend much on music anymore. I used to spend a pretty fair amount, but I have to say that I do feel like we deserve something more for the same money these days. I've still only bought 2 DVD-A discs (Hotel California and The Corrs) but you know I don't just want to blow money on stuff that I don't really want just to be out supporting the format or re-buying the stuff I like that I already have (Pro Logic II is good enough for most.) I see they have some Sarah McLachlan on the way that ought to be good (her Surfacing album is a trip in Pro Logic II) and I ought to buy Faith Hill's Cry I suppose. Madonna's material should shine with surround. Whatever....... I guess my ranting about it doesn't help, but I feel the need to vent.

4. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

Alanis DVD-A is good and sheryl crow's DTS CD is great as well. Also if you ever get SACD you have to get amanda marshall's disc as it is one of my favorite 5.1 CD's.

5. Jason Garrett

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, I'd like to get SACD one of these days if they put Fiona Apple on it.

I see at this site:
    http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/dar...eases03_1Q.htm

Time Warner is at least bringing The Flaming Lips out...now if any music is crying out for DVD-A surround in my book - that has to be it. Now, let's see if they follow through.