Jeunet/Caro Boxed Set - Subtitles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherM, Oct 12, 2001.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

A 5-Disc boxed set of Delicatessen (2 Discs), La Cité Des Enfants Perdus (2 discs) and the 1981 short feature Le Bunker De La Dernière Rafale is being advertised in the French press for release in France by Studio Canal on 17 October. Extras include commentaries, storyboards, trailers, costume designs etc
    However, does anybody know whether the movies will feature English subtitles?
    I have checked the following websites:
    · studiocanal.fr - Annouces the release but I cannot find disc details here
    · dvdfr.com - Lists very few details at all.
    · amazon.fr - Lists English subtitles for the boxed set, but not for the individual two-disc editions of Delicatessen or Enfants (which should be the same discs as in the boxed set). Under the circumstances I am not convinced that the listing for the boxed set is correct.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. ChristopherM

Well, the boxed set was released today, so it seems like a good time to ask the question again.
    If anybody has bought it or seen the packaging in the shops, I'd still like to know if there are English subtitles on the movies.
    Many thanks.

3. ChristopherM

Well, to answer my own question, several sites are now advertising the movies on the French boxed set as being without English subtitles.
    This is particularly bad news for us in the UK. Apparently the UK edition of "City of Lost Children" will be released as a budget title by EiV. Based on this distributor's past record, I shudder to think what kind of transfer it will shove onto the market. In fact, I have the EiV VHS tape and the picture is so dark it can only be (barely) discerned in a completely darkened room.
    [Edited last by ChristopherM on November 01, 2001 at 07:33 AM]

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...the postman brought me the intégrale yesterday... only La Cité des Enfants Perdus has (French) subtiles for the HoH... fortunately both my French and my hearing are (still) good enough to get along without subs [​IMG] ...
    ...btw, the 26-minute, early Caro/Jeunet science-fiction-ish, tinted and colorized black-and-white movie on the third (well, actually the fifth) disc has no dialog, just a nice mix of ambient sounds - so it could be watched and understood by anyone...
    ...plus, the whole thing comes in an ugly, bloody big (20x26x6cm, give or take a millimeter) biscuit tin with an embossed, silk-screened, hinged cover... what were they thinking of?
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

5. ChristopherM

Many thanks, Hendrik. This is exactly what I needed to know.
    Of course, now I'm really torn. I know "La Cité Des Enfants Perdus" well enough to muddle through with my 25-years-gone schoolboy French, and it's good to know that "Bunker" is dialogue-free. However, I've never seen "Delicatessen" (despite it's many recommendations), so buying this edition would be an interesting experiment for me, to say the least!