What's new

Jet Set Radio Future (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
It's complete. It's the sequel to the game you loved on the Dreamcast. It's the :star: JSRF Appreciation Thread :star:
The word from "the cool kids" liars is that http://www.jsrf.com
Release date: February 26
-Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter
Since I don't think this game is being hyped enough, here is a look back at the first game in the series, which none of you bought because it was on the Dreamcast: ;)
Reviews
-Gamespot Review: 9.0
-Gamespot Reader Reviews: 9.1
-IGN Review: 9.6
-SegaWeb: 9.5
-Avault: 4.5 out of 5
Comments
"This game looks simply incredible. The characters and environments aren't made up of that many polygons, but the smooth animation and an amazing use of cel shading (which places a black outline around some of the polys, giving them an almost hand-drawn look - expect to see lots of games stealing this effect in the near future) make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. The game's sound effects and music match the high marks earned by the graphics. The effects, while mostly consisting of grinding noises and the whoosh of spray-paint cans doing their thing, are well done, and the music is an amazing collection of hip-hop beats that fit the action perfectly." -Gamespot
"...Jet Grind Radio stands out as the most original, distinct, enjoyable title you will play this year. Nearly everything about this title is a testament to the heart of game design and creation." -Link Removed
"For sheer fun, playability, and originality it just doesn't get any better than Jet Grind Radio." -SegaWeb
More Links
-Gamespot Review
-Link Removed
-SegaWeb Review
-Avault Review
-IGN's Jet Grind Radio Week Feature:
*Link Removed
*Link Removed
*Link Removed
*Link Removed
*Link Removed
-Dan

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
EBGames.com is still showing the regular release date. I've never known Amazon.com to be accurate on release dates for any of their products.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
EB moved their release date back a week, from the 19th to the 26th, but it's all just a guessing game anyway.

-Dave

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'll confess to taking an age to get around to buying the DC original. Lets hope that the demo is really good this time - I played the original demo, thought 'ooh thats pretty' and completely failed to see how it could sustain an entire game. It does though...

Dan B

Screenwriter
Here's another review:
Link Removed
I also read that the Famitsu scores may be fake & that Edge may have given the game a 6 out of 10. (d'oh!)
-Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
Iain, are you referring to the Edge score? I don't see that mag here in the US...I take it they are notoriously harsh?

-Dan

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Edge haven't reviewed it yet - I've got the latest issue sitting here & it isn't in there... I too heard those Famitsu scores were made up. Not the first time some dweeb has done that.

Edge is "harsh" but you can't compare their scoring system as they aim to use the full 1-10 scale. An average game gets 5/10. Games that regularly get 90%+ elsewhere get 7/10.

They got a LOT of stick for giving GTA3 8/10 & Smash Brothers 6/10.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think they were totally justified in giving Smash Bros a 6/10. It's weak compared to Power Stone 2, a superior game in every way. If Smash didn't have Nintendo mascots no one would bother

LewisD

Grip
I have the original Japanese Jet Set Radio for Dreamcast, and my only fear about JSRF is that most of the music is Americanized, from what I have read. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the JGR-Rob Zombie farce....and hopefully JSRF is DD5.1 and 480p :P
Has anyone heard about JSRF's surrond sound and prog. scan support??

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Edge are usually harsh but fair, and seem to be on a real 'slap it down for not doing anything new' kick at the moment, but they are far ahead of the rest of the reviews out there. I bought issue 107 (with the Atari cover) a few weeks ago, so I assumed that the 6/10 rumour was for the yet to be published 108.

The thing to remember when looking at Edge scores is that there have only been 4 times a game has got 10 in all those issues, so it really means something.

Ike

Screenwriter
But an 8 for GTA3? Anything less than 9 is criminal...

Gamespot has had a similarly small number of perfect 10's (what are the titles that have gotten that rating from The Edge?), and I usually agree with their reviews, even if ocassionally they are a bit harsh.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
But an 8 for GTA3? Anything less than 9 is criminal...
No, it's not. Go read the review. Edge loved the game, but thought a few issues like the targetting dragged it down a little. Edge have been big supporters of the GTA series.

Anyway, back to Jet Set Radio Future. A few journo friends of mine have been a little negative about it so far I have to say... Liked the graphics, didn't like the gameplay changes. Guess we'll all find out soon. I really hope this game turns out good.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Hopefully it won't be as bad as the JGR-Rob Zombie farce
So does this mean that every piece of music in Jet Grind Radio was re-mixed from the original Japanese Jet Set radio? Meaning that those of us with the non-import version have been pitifully in the dark to the obviously superior Japanese tracks?

And BrianB, just a bit OT... I also happen to agree that GTA3, despite being an incredible game in almost all respects, has a piss poor targeting system that does drag the game down. It's a problematic issue that has been all but ignored by a couple of reviews I've read.

Joseph

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
So does this mean that every piece of music in Jet Grind Radio was re-mixed from the original Japanese Jet Set radio? Meaning that those of us with the non-import version have been pitifully in the dark to the obviously superior Japanese tracks?
They redid the voice work for the US release, as well as adding a couple of extra songs. That's it. The Japanese voices are MUCH better in my opinion.

The Rob Zombie song just didn't 'fit' the ambience of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks