Jet Li's The One

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd McF, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

OK, I've seen this movie and only partially remember it. I wanted to rent it again but my local Ball Buster is selling off all the stock.

Did anyone review this movie or the DVD? I thought it was a relatively large production. I remember kind of liking it (not a glowing endorsement) and I want to take another crack at it.

I tried a slow search and came up with nothing - which seems unlikely. No hits on keyword "one"?

Hmmm...

2. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

A fun movie, been thinking of picking it up actually. I'm not sure if it was ever reviewed at HTF, but I know you can read reviews at IGN DVD, and also of it and the Superbit version at Dvdfile. It's a hard title for search engines for some reason. Try typing Jet Li in with it and superbit or something if you're interested...

3. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Thanks for the update. I don't quite know what to make of Jet Li. Sort of seems like a wasted career lately. It seems like he could do better. I'll take another look though. How about Cradle 2 the Grave? Reviews seemed pretty poor.

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Jet Li's Asian films are far superior, but his American films have been entertaining, my fave American ones are The One and Kiss of the Dragon.
    The One also has Jason Statham, who I think could be a big action star.
    Cradle to the Grave was decent, a bit silly, but still fun. The fight with Mark Dacascos was criminally short. For Dacascos check out Drive (R2 if possible, the R1 is P&S)

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

The One does, however, feature the great line,
    "I am Yulaw! I'm nobody's bitch! You are mine". [​IMG]

Oft repeated by my core group of friends.

7. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

I'm watching Cradle 2 the Grave tonight. We shall see [​IMG]

I'd love to see more serious fighting movies produced domestically - clearly the Matrix trilogy proves America has the appetite!

I like Jackie Chan, but the stuff is entirely comedy. I was really hoping for Jet Li but he doesnt seem to have the goods. My first Jet Li movie (Romeo Must Die) was pretty painful. The One was an improvement, but only that.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

For Jet Li, I would recommend:
    Once Upon a Time in China 1-3
    The Legend 1 and 2
    Fist of Legend (one of his best)
    Hero

9. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Please don't judge Jet Li by his American movies. There has yet to be an American movie that can capture his ability. Alot of that has to do with the unwillingness to actually have a story, but insist on mindless action scenes with a very thin story.

"The One" was his best American movie to date. Cradle 2 the Grave is mediocre, with great action scenes. DMX is not the worst rapper turned actor (that honor goes to Coolio in China Strike Force), but still not my cup of tea.

I wouldn't judge Jet Li until you have seen:
    Once Upon A Time in China 1-3
    The Shaolin Temple
    Fist of Legend
    Fong Sai Yuk 1&2 (AKA The Legend)
    Tai Chi Master
    Hero (only if you like movies with a deep, semi-confusing story)
    My Father is a Hero
    High Risk

All in original language with subtitles preferably.

Chris

10. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Of all the dialogue in that movie, that's definitely one of the only lines I remember. Ahahaha, it's so great, makes me laugh everytime...

11. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Cradle 2 The Grave was pretty good. There were some pretty amazing sequences - too bad the movie ended flat.
    The DVD transfer was great.

I will confess that the main reason I'm looking for american movies is because the foreign DVDs (Once Upon a Time in China for example) are so horribly mastered.

I havent seen Once Upon a Time in China but I do plan to. DVDFile ripped into the DVD quality pretty mercelessly.

I'm front projecting this stuff, so image quality is important.

12. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

>I like Jackie Chan, but the stuff is entirely comedy.

Try Crime Story, it's entirely serious. (But avoid the U.S. version, see the HK version.) The lead role originally was meant for Jet Li, by the way. I forget what happened to make him drop out, though.

13. Chris_Morris

While not perfect, the best looking release is the Region 2 Hong Kong Legends version. It is well worth the cost of getting a region free player ($70-$80). Aside from that, the story is so good that you will soon look past the quality problems.

Chris

14. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Ok, I'll give it a try. I have a region 0 player - where do you get other region DVD's?

15. Chris_Morris

I got the Hong Kong Legends Once Upon A Time In China trilogy from CD-Wow for about $35 shipped.

Chris

16. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

I don't know why Black Mask gets so little mention, but it should definitely be checked out by anyone interested in Jet Li. Much better than his American movies, with the possible exception of his rather brief debut in Lethal Weapon 4, which was quite simply awe inspiring (and the only redeeming quality of that film).

Dan

17. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Sorry to be obtuse -
    Region 2 is Europe and Region 4 includes Hong Kong and Japan?

Is yours Region 4?

18. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Hmm - Don't forget a few other films with him - The Bodyguard from Beijing, The Master, New Shaolin Temple, and Swordsmen 2 among others.

Once Upon A Time In China 1 - 3 and 6 feature Jet Li. Other OUATICs feature some other actors that I can't remember. Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 are fun as well - they have a few scenes parodying OUATIC and is pretty funny.

Which reminds me - I have to get the HKL versions of Jet Li films. The Bruce Lee Collection is very very good.

AFAIK, Region 2 NTSC is Japan, and Region 2 PAL is, well PAL.

19. Chris_Morris

Japan can be Region 2 or 4 I believe. Hong Kong is Region 3.

The name is confusing though. Hong Kong Legends is a line put out by Medusa Communications, a UK company, they are Region 2 PAL and for the most part, the best releases you can get, though the new Fox line is very good but without the extra features.

Chris