Jesus of Nazareth-complete?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottR, Mar 28, 2002.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Is the dvd of Jesus of Nazareth complete, as the packaging states? I taped it off of NBC in 1990, and it is the same cut, but on another site, someone claims that there was a scene of the beheaded John the Baptist on a silver platter that is missing. I seem to recall such a scene, but not in this production. Does anyone know? At any rate, this film needs a major restoration.

2. Mitchell Kaufman

Don't know about the severed head scene, but the pq of this set is so bad I don't think I'd be able to tell if it's there or not.

This is the only disc I've ever had to return because of picture quality. It is totally, unequivocally unwatchable.

MK

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

There was no scene of John The Baptist's severed head in any cut of "Jesus Of Nazareth." To my knowledge, only the dreadful 1953 movie "Salome" with Rita Hayworth ever had such a scene.

The original CBS/Fox VHS release in the mid-1980s featured the original NBC cut from 1977 which was shorter than all subsequent cuts that ran on NBC by about 12 minutes. This additional footage is in the current VHS and DVD releases and contains footage mostly of the young Jesus.

The DVD isn't the best overall presentation but is still worth having IMO for reasons that go beyond the DVD picture.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I wouldn't call this DVD unwatchable.

I would say instead that the quality of

the transfer -- especially the muddy soundtrack --

leaves more to be desired.

With that in mind, I would still recommend a

purchase as this is THE greatest story of Christ

ever filmed.

5. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I haven't seen the DVD, but I agree with Ron. This is probably the best acted, best directed, and most well-adapted movie version of the Gospel story I've ever seen.

Are there any extra features on the DVD?

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is not up my alley, but I can say that when it was released my wife insisted we buy it. We only were able to find it at Circuit City, at the pricey-to-me cost of either $34.99 or $39.99 (don't recall, but I think it was $34).
    She was QUITE satisfied with it, and upon hearing of this thread's topic just rolled her eyes and said "they should just go get it". [​IMG]

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I agree, it is the best telling of the Christ story ever filmed (though, honestly, I think they could cut an hour out of it and it would be better). The PQ is not what I would ever call good -- it's too soft -- but it's not horrible, either.

8. Chris Biggs

Chris Biggs Agent

Was Jesus of Nazareth first shown theatrically? If so, is the DVD widescreen or pan and scan?

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Jesus of Nazareth was an NBC mini-series but was shown theatrically in Europe...the tape I have from the 1990 broadcast shows quite a bit more picture information on all four sides than either the vhs or dvd copies. Weird.

10. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Rather than start a new thread I decided to resurrect this one. [rimshot]

The AV quality sounds questionable (even at the current $17 or so online). Also, considering the success of that little Mel Gibson film it would seem that JoN would be a prime candidate for a new release.

I guess I'm hoping to get some more opinions on the AV quality of the current disc (DVD-basen only had 1 review).

11. Chris Biggs

Chris Biggs Agent

I would really like a widescreen version since that is apparently how it was first presented theatrically...

12. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Once again, it was not shot in widescreen format. European theatrical versions of American TV movies were always presented in a bogus widescreen format and in this instance full screen is the appropriate version.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I would not anticipate a decent remaster. This

is an ARTISAN title. Nuff' said!