Jessica and Nick show?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Jessica and Nick in a Sonny and Cher type show? I thought I'd bring this up. I have no intention to watch this, (unless I tune in for Alias too early) but I can't believe this is being done. Is it really going to be a weekly series now? I guess you have to hand it to their managers or their own business sense to market themselves and ride this wave as much as they can.

I have a feeling they could appeal to a new kind of audience that once liked the variety genre since it's not been done for so long, or it will go down in flames in no time! No doubt they have a large fan base, so it may last a couple of weeks? [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Haven't they already gone through one season already and are starting the second? Must be popular if it got another season.

Then again, i dont know, I live in canada, i dont think we get 'newlyweds' here.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's a one-off special; both of them actually have seperate sitcoms in development (with ABC apparently committed to Simpson's for the fall, although this special could help them figure out how good an idea it is).

I'll probably watch it; there are Muppets, Mr. T, and Kenny Rogers involved. It's apparently deliberately kitschy, so it could be either fairly entertaining or an Old Navy commercial extended to sixty minutes of hell.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I lasted 3 minutes. It was torture.

5. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I watched it because I like them both and thought they did a pretty good job on SNL recently. It was pretty corny, and I couldn't really understand why everything was soooooo old. The jokes, the guests: (Kenny Rogers, KItt, the "Knight Rider" Car, Johnny Bench, the Muppets, Mr. T). The most up-to-date guest on the show were Babyface and Jewel, and even they are yesterday's news. Even all the songs they did were old, and while it was ok--not great--I'm not real sure what the point was.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I didn't watch the show but it's not suprising to see a variety show. They've been a cornerstone of television for a long time. The suprise is in who is hosting. Jessica and Nick? From what I've ever seen of them on MTV, these two have the personalities of a bag of hammers. But hey, they're young and beautiful, right? Young and beautiful automatically equals interesting, I guess.

Bruce

7. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

It was pretty funny with some of the skits. Music is pretty good too. Hope they have more variety shows.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Terrible.

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It looked decent with the sound turned down.

[​IMG]

10. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I think its hilarious that the entire concept of this show seems inspired by a Saturday Night Live skit. When Nick & Jessica hosted SNL earlier this year they did a skit about a Nick & Jessica Sonny & Cher-esque variety show.

When I started seeing commercials for this it was like deja vu.

Does anyone else find that funny?

11. Tom Keels

Tom Keels Stunt Coordinator

The stuff with Mr. T had me rolling. Other than that....BLEH.

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I'm going to go out on a limb, and give them credit for doing a really good spoof of the old 70's variety shows (ala Sonny and Cher, Brady Kids, Donny and Marie). And, the fact that they had old stars on it was part of the spoof. At first, I was thinking "No one in their demographic knows who Kitt is, or Mr. T, why are they on this thing." I also wondered if teens would understand a Film Noir sketch.

Then, it dawned on me that they were completely spoofing the old shows.

If I'm correct, they did a great job of spoof. If I'm wrong, then "WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING!"

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Of course it was a spoof of the old variety shows, and an enjoyable one at that. I had a good time.

I wish there were more variety shows (and not spoofs), I like them a lot. [​IMG]

14. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

About as funny as Hee-Haw.

i.e.: not very

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So what's worse: Variety show sendups, or reality TV shows?

16. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

ARRGGGHHHH!!! we screwed up on the vcr, didn't record it while we were over at the inlaws watching the Sopranos. Did anyone get it on tape or tivo?
    Please please please?

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I cant believe this found a time slot and other more deserving shows arent on anymore, like say, last seasons Miracles.
    But people sit through the reality show which I can find no reason other than maybe to see Nick's abs.

People are really entertained by these two?

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Dump Nick....and bring the show back with Jewel and Jessica. Hmmmm....

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It actually won it's time slot. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm not surprised. They seem like fun, good-looking, relatively inoffensive folks, with the right personality for this kind of tongue-in-cheek stuff.

Granted, they're an example of that bizarre phenomenon where people are famous for no apparent reason. I couldn't name a Jessica Simpson song even if there was money on the line, and yet I'm somehow aware of her.

20. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Hmmm...so the duet between Jewel and Jessica was a "spoof"? Well, I don't know about that, but it certainly was terrifying. Jessica was apparently attempting to give her impression of Cher impersonating Jewel, and the end result had my dog howling. Did you see the look on Jewel's face whenever Jessica starting singing? Her fake plastered file seemed to say "Who is this constipated chick and what is she doing to my hit song?"