What's new

Jerry Maguire Music Question (1 Viewer)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I just caught a few minutes of Jerry Maguire on NBC and heard Aimee Mann's "Wise Up" right after Cuba Gooding Jr. says "I'm all heart, mother******!". I remember seeing this song listed in the end credits and on the soundtrack CD but I couldn't remember hearing it in the movie before.

So I popped in the Special Edition DVD and fast forwarded to the same scene just to make sure I wasn't completely crazy and instead heard some generic montage music.

What happened? Was Sony unable to secure the rights to the song? Seems kinda strange considering all the other songs are intact. Not to mention "Wise Up" was used in Magnolia just a few years later(although in fairness, that soundtrack was almost entirely comprised of Aimee Mann tunes).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, but how exactly did they alter "I'm all heart, mother******!" for broadcast television? :D

BrandonJF

Second Unit
The Aimee Mann song was never in the theatrical cut. It's been added to the tv version. The music hasn't been altered on the DVD.

I have no idea why it was on the soundtrack or listed in the credits, but not in the movie, unless it's on in the background somewhere. I've seen that movie so many times, though, and can't ever recall hearing it anywhere... until I saw 10 minutes of it on tv. After the "I'm all heart, my brother!", I cringed and moved on.

I can't remember if they ever mentioned it in the commentary, either. All I can remember is them telling each other how great they all are and using the term "bringing it" or "brought it" about 100 times.

Maybe Crowe could forsee that Tom Cruise would one day be singing that song in another movie and decided to remove it. At this point, after viewing it so many times, that Aimee Mann song can never replace the old montage music for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe Aimee Mann wrote the song for the film, but it wasn't finished in time to make the final cut, or Cameron Crowe liked it but didn't have a place for it. (Since it's showed up in the TV version, I would tend to believe the former.) Being that it was written for the film, it ended up on the soundtrack. Not the first song to be on a movie soundtrack album even though it wasn't in the movie.

I remember Paul Thomas Anderson mentioning somewhere on the Magnolia DVD that Wise Up was unused in Jerry Maguire and that's how he was able to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks