Jerry MacGuire - Deluxe WS Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RandallV, Sep 13, 2005.

1. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

So what's so "Deluxe" about this DVD. I bought it last weekend for $7.50. Happy that it was Widescreen, I didn't bother to check for extras. There aren't any! So why is this called "Deluxe"? I'd call it false advertising.

Well, I just checked DVD Empire and there is a Special Edition out there. I still wonder why a "Special Edition" has more than a "Deluxe Edition".

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think The Kids Are Alright also had a "Deluxe" and a "Special" edition where the "Deluxe" was 1 disc and the "Special" was 2 discs.

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Columbia's early barebones releases were labelled as "Deluxe Widescreen Edition."

They then went to "Special Edition" and have confusingly gone to the moniker "Deluxe Edition" for films that have already received Special Editions.

4. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Wow! That's confusing. I wonder why all the old single discs are appearing at retail.

Oh yes, sorry about the misspelling of Jerry Maguire.

5. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

It's the same thing with "A League of Their Own." The special edition came out more than a year ago, but places like Target still stock the barebones (and cheaper) "Deluxe Widescreen Edition."

I think this kind of labeling was a holdover from the VHS era when they tried to market widescreen versions as artsy and somehow exotic (as opposed to simply the movie as it was meant to be seen).