What's new

Jerry Lewis on DVD - NEW UPDATE 7/11 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

You have made my week with your post on more Jerry coming from Paramount; it's about time! Hoping Rock-A-Bye Baby, Scared Stiff, The Family Jewels, The Patsy, Hollywood Or Bust and Living It Up are amongst those waiting in the wings; by the way I rattled off those titles, you can tell I'm a big fan, too.

Speaking of Don't Raise The Bridge.., my review of this title will be on digitallyOBSESSED (yeah, I know, shameless plug) within the next few days. In looking at the credits on the keepcase, I was fascinated to learn that this film was produced by Walter Shenson, one of the guiding forces in bringing The Beatles to the big screen (A Hard Day's Night).

Jeffrey

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Thanks for the answer, Ron. I thought it might have been either The Family Jewels or Way Way Out only because those titles seem more familiar to me. But yes The Big Mouth I recall was a great flick. :)

Too bad they aren't planning any Jerry Lewis boxed set. Btw I remember me and my family going out to see Slapstick Of Another Kind which I believe is another Columbia title in theaters when it came out. Or atleast I think that's the one. It had Jerry and Madeline Kahn as aliens. Wasn't very good from what I recall.

Jeff I'll be looking for your review of DRTBLTR since I haven't bought the title yet. Actually I was thinking of getting it this weekend. I need my swingin' 60's Jerry fix. :D

John KB

Second Unit
Great news Ron, I can't wait! I'd like to see some of the ones that have never made it to VHS come out first. Like Living it Up or You're never too young. But I'd be very happy with any of them.

If they could only put out 5 next year, these would be my picks:

Living it up
You're never too young
The Delicate Delinquent
Hollywood or Bust
The Geisha Boy

But for me, it's really hard to pick favorites, I want them all!!!
thanks again Ron!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Clown has a checkered history. The people that put up the money for the film failed to finish payment and it was seized by the creditors. I understand the original negs are not in Jerry's possession. I think I once read the film was never completely edited. The legend of it may be more interesting then the actual film... about a concentration camp prisoner who entertains the children and eventually leads them into the gas chambers. Please this is what I heard a long time ago and it may be completely wrong. Doesn't sound too inviting.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I believe some of the Dean and Jerry Paramount films are remakes of earlier films by other stars. Paramount owned the screenplays. I'm sure someone knows which ones.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
You can read a little more about the infamous German clown movie here.

I believe it was highly criticized not only because of the attempt at humor in a concentration camp but also because the movie sympathized more with Lewis' clown character than the Jews he was leading into the gas chambers. Regardless of how bad or ill-conceived the movie might be I'd still like to see it one day simply because I'm a fan of Jerry Lewis.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The text in the above link refers to people being marched into the ovens. Not true. They were already dead. The rest of it is hyperbole I think.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ron mentioned above that the movie I was thinking about is The Big Mouth, although The Geisha Boy is a good guess. :)

John KB

Second Unit
Jeffrey, what ever happened to your review for digitallyOBSESSED? I couldn't find it on the website.

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John (and everyone),

What good timing....I'm putting the finishing touches on it as we speak; look for it possibly as early as tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

digitallyOBSESSED
www.digitallyobsessed.com

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I finally got Don't Raise The Bridge a few days ago and I lucked out by finding it used for $14.99. While I definitely don't think it's one of Jerry's funniest movies, I like the English scenery and just the general idea of Jerry in England. The opening shot of Jerry strolling through London with a bowler and an umbrella is great and hearing the theme song again after probably 25+ years was a hoot along with seeing Jerry drive around in that very cool red Jaguar etype. I totally agree with Jeffrey, the picture quality is excellent! It looks like this movie was filmed last year that's how prestine the image quality is.

Despite the fact that I don't think the movie is that good I've still watched it about 3 times since I bought it. Maybe because I'm just happy to have my first Jerry Lewis DVD. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't Raise The Bridge... is not a great
Jerry Lewis film, but I bought it simply because...
well..there just ain't enough Jerry Lewis available.

If Columbia is looking to release more Jerry
Lewis, let's hope the studio releases THE BIG
MOUTH
soon.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ditto! Despite the fact that Don't Raise The Bridge isn't terribly funny there is a charm to it that to me stems from the fact that it's basically a look at swinging 60's London with Jerry Lewis(and Terry Thomas!). And from my POV I think it's actually quite a departure for Lewis because he's mostly serious in this movie in terms of his divorce and his financial wheelings and dealings. Although I like the running Zebra gag, "Not now!" :D Some of the dialogue is funny but I can tell that it was just directed wrong. Jerry probably should have directed this himself.

And yes I'd like to see The Big Mouth on DVD, as I would basically all of Jerry Lewis' movies.

Keep'em comin'! :)

John KB

Second Unit
Anybody purchase Funny Bones? I know Jerry Lewis isn't in it much, but I purchased it anyway.

John KB

Second Unit
Well, we're coming to the end of 2003. Has anyone heard anything about possible releases for 2004?
I'd really love to see some Marting & Lewis films make it to DVD next year rather than just Jerry's solo efforts. Although I love his solo movies too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Last I talked to Paramount....and this is about
four months ago...nothing is moving.

Paramount wants to put out the Jerry Lewis
catalog, but they are "waiting on Jerry" to do so.

Jerry's health, I am certain, has been a factor
in all this. However, he seems to be recovering
quite well as of late so hopefully -- if he is
truly interested in cooperating -- we should see
some DVDs within the next two years.

Just wanted everyone to know that the stall on
these releases is not the fault of Paramount.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see Cinderfella. I was talking about this movie a couple of months ago and was sad to see that it was not available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks