Jerry Goldsmith SACD sampler?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I read a couple of different articles that mentioned using this greatest hits of his soundtracks SACD as reference material. Anyone know anything about this disk, I was not able to locate it anywhere. Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I have this SACD. The title is The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith, and it was released by Telarc. It's a hybrid mult-channel disc. You should be able to find it for $20 at www.amusicdirect.com , www.acousticsounds.com , www.elusivedisc.com , and www.telarc.com , at the very least. I lucked out a few months ago and found it for $15 at a local Best Buy, which was when Telarc SACDs still sold for $25. It was filed with Jerry Goldsmith CDs. Some people on Audio Asylum reported finding the SACD for $15 at Best Buy at that time as well. Best Buy also sells the standard CD version for $15, and I think someone got the two discs confused. You could always check Best Buy, but if you can't find the SACD there, at least the price has dropped from $25 to $20 online.
    As for the music, I am not a big classical fan, but this SACD is excellent. The music is great, as is the performance. The sound quality is excellent as well. If you like Goldsmith's works, pick up this SACD.

3. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith, This is a title I've been looking for and while I've been checking BB, I never thought to check the regular cd bins. I'll have to swing out there and give a look see. Just curious, how much are the rear channels used on the surround mix, agressive, ambiance only, or a combo of the two? Your thoughts.... Enquiring minds want to know.[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, truthfully, I haven't listened to the multi-channel mix on the Goldsmith disc yet. I listen to stereo material 99% of the time these days, but I have a pile of multi-channel discs that I want to listen to through my HT system. Unfortunately, my receiver is in the shop, so I can only listen in stereo. [​IMG]
    I found the Goldsmith SACD at Best Buy back in February, so I don't know if you will be able to find a copy. The store I was in had just one copy of the SACD and one of the regular CD. It's certainly worth a check though. Good luck!

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The sound of this SACD is superb! As a huge Goldsmith aficionado, however, I must say that the arrangements and performances are a bit too muzak-like for my taste. Of course the disc is an accurate representation of what Goldsmith does in concert. For the casual admirer, the disc is a good sampling of some of Goldsmith's scores and themes, and it’s certainly worth $15 or $20.

NP: The Chieftains' score to Treasure Island