Jerry Bruckheimer To Produce "De-Mystified" King Aurthur retelling (merged)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dalton, May 16, 2003.

1. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well to me this is horrible news. I was reding about it in today's USA Today. He wants to take the magic out of the Arthur myth. The magic is one of the best aspects of the Arthur legend IMO. John Boorman's Excalibur is my favorite Arthur movie and one of my all-time favorite movies. I didn't care for the NBC mini-series Merlin with Sam Neill (although i like Sam Neill as an actor). I also very much disliked First Knight with Richard Gere and Sean Connery (whom i also like). Neither Merlin nor First Knight captured the bleek darkness of the Middle-Ages the way Excalibur did(IMO at least). Bruckheimer also believes most people think the Arthur legend takes place in the 1500's. Who thinks that? I certainly don't. No one i've talked to thought it took place in the 1500's either. Clive Owen is set to play Arthur and Stephen Dillane to play Merlin. While i like Owen i don't recall who Stephen Dillane is. Antoine Fuqua of Training Day and Tears of the Sun is set to direct. Anyone else know anymore details about this film? Here is the link to the imdb info but it's not much.
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0349683

2. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Don't forget Camelot and Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Sword in the Stone.

According to your IMDB link, the setting will be between the fall of Rome and the Dark Ages. Maybe instead of the 1500's you meant the 500's. That is more "accurate".

Anyhoo, since guns and gunpowder hasn't been invented, how the hell is Bruckheimer gonna make it through the whole film without a single explosion?

Apparently, Speilberg is also filming an Arthur mini-series for TV. Amazing how similar films or TV shows always seem to hit the market at the same time.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Hunter,
    Some more good examples. The 1500's thing is a quote from Bruckheimer in USA Today. Maybe he meant 500's but the article has him saying the 1500's. I just think taking the mysticism out of the story makes it become just another historical epic(not that that is a bad thing) and diminishes the Arthur legend as a whole. I think we have enough historical epics being released over the next couple of years. I would love love to see a remake of Excalibur with some of today's advances in special effects(although not too overdone with CGI).

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I think you could potentially do a very interesting historical take on King Arthur. Unfortunately, Jerry Bruckheimer is not the guy to do that. I read about this movie a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help but laugh because after reading about the more historical-based take on the story, the article then mentioned that Keira Knightley was taking swordfighting lessons because Guinevere is going to be an action queen in the story [​IMG]

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

6. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Cant Bruckheimer just keel over already... [​IMG]

7. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

Just the mention of re-telling the Camelot legend without the magic brings back thoughts of First Knight. God, that was a stinker. The only thing that can make it even remotely enjoyable is making a drinking game out of it. Take a shot everytime you see the color blue used in excess. Watch it and see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, if Bruckheimer wants to do a magic-less King Arthur film, well more power to him. I don't think anyone could top Boorman's Excalibur, so maybe a different take on the legend is a good idea. If only it was anyone but Jerry Bruckheimer...

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

9. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bruckheimer producint without Bay directing might do just fine.

Bruckheimer also produces one of the finest television shows on the air right now, CSI, which imho is much better than any movie Bay's ever made.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

19. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

20. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Bruckheimer's insistance of flash over substance, is certain to take the magic out of the story. Perhaps the visual styling could be coupled with... Leonardo DiCaprio as King Arthur.