What's new

Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: Tommorrow at 4 (1 Viewer)

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Originally Posted by Steve...O /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4#post_3627171
So Popeye is dead after all? Or just not mentioned?
The Looney Tunes and Popeye collections were among my favorites - bummer to see them go by the wayside.
Popeye was mentioned only when the host asked "could Popeye be released as a Warner Archive set?" Jerry's answer was (I think) "anything is possible Archive wise." Not sure if that is positive or negative news really.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Probably true. Maybe he meant some kind of interim set? It's all speculation though isn't it until we hear straight up from WB. I'd like Popeye any way I could get him, so however it's done, let it be done.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I know the info we have regarding the possible single-disc releases of un-released LT shorts is vague and possibly not yet confirmed completely, but it is kind of sad news regardless. I kind of wish WB would go the route of the WDT line and start over from scratch w/this line. They could continue w/their Spotlight Collection, but just start over w/limited, albeit higher production runs, releases in tins or some special kind of case. Drastic retooling and it might get it a higher profile within the public eye.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by chadHobbick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the info we have regarding the possible single-disc releases of un-released LT shorts is vague and possibly not yet confirmed completely, but it is kind of sad news regardless. I kind of wish WB would go the route of the WDT line and start over from scratch w/this line. They could continue w/their Spotlight Collection, but just start over w/limited, albeit higher production runs, releases in tins or some special kind of case. Drastic retooling and it might get it a higher profile within the public eye.
I could not agree more. The people who really buy these want them in a format similar to the Popeye and Stooges collections, not these "best of" collections like the Golden and Spotlight collections, which turn off many of the hardcore fans.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Well, LTs in chronological order would be quite difficult to sell. I think a "wave" format, like the Disney Treasures, might be an option. Or, yes, limited editions of a single, annual Golden Collection-style set. Even if it's difficult to imagine that happening right now, the possibility of a Tom and Jerry revisit indicates WB's awareness of the fact people want these classics done properly, regardless of the logic behind the presentation.

All that aside, it would be a real shame (and waste) to go through with anything unrestored. For me personally, that's the bottom line: they must be presented properly. It doesn't make much sense to revisit T&J in an effort to restore and organize them like Golden Collections while, in the same breath, releasing single-disc, unrestored LTs. But hey, it doesn't make much sense to deviate away from restored animation, the home video precedent set for most of this decade, at all.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
If they went the WDT way w/the LT shorts just b/c a volume doesn't sell as well if they went in a chronological sense doesn't mean it would be the end of the world. Let us say that the first wave had a 3 different sets. One could be a war-era of shorts, one a set of chronological Bugs Bunny in order to get the series starting out right, and one a 1920s/30s set. The 1920/30s shorts might not sell well, but that's okay. I'm sure the Oswald WDT set didn't sell all that well either, but it didn't kill the line, they had to have known it wouldn't have been a big seller. I say keep everything in chronological or complete if warranted in order to make a uniform set. There are many ways they could do this.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The WDT have, since the beginning, supported weaker volumes by issuing them with stronger ones. That makes sense. However, starting the LTs from scratch is not the way to go. That would require double-dipping of approximately 360 cartoons already released, 90% of which are the all-time most popular.
I think a WDT-style series could work but, since the general public is buying fewer DVDs these days, knows this material so well and already has what they want in the Golden Collections, it would really need to be aimed at collectors. Waves in limited editions could do this. But it would need to be clear all the content released is new-to-DVD. To do an entire series, aimed at collectors, with double-dips would be a shot in the foot.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
How so the shot in the foot comment? Many series get a barebones release then are released later on as a complete series or deluxe addition or whatever w/loaded extras and the whole shebang, so to speak. There are many tv sets that I collected as separate seasons then sold off once the complete series came out b/c it had more content or was more attractive to me. I have no clue, but are we at the half-way mark w/the LT sets or are we further along? I agree if they only liked two more sets and then decided to start over I would be pissed, but if they started over right now I would totally start over w/them, but that's me.

Is anyone here really prepared to accept single disc releases in order to complete the LT library at this point? I mean how many discs/volumes would it take to complete the library of shorts? This is even if WB loaded these individual discs w/as many shorts as were on each CG set discs.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
After a whole year without any major Looney Tunes releases, DVD's of unrestored shorts is the equivalent of Warner rubbing their reproductive organs in peoples' faces.

I rather these single disc bombs than see this half-assedness encouraged.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Kevin Martinez /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4#post_3627984
After a whole year without any major Looney Tunes releases, DVD's of unrestored shorts is the equivalent of Warner rubbing their reproductive organs in peoples' faces.
I rather these single disc bombs than see this half-assedness encouraged.
Better this way on pressed DVD than thrown into the Archive! :)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The LTs should definitely not be done as single-discs, and never as unrestored DVDs. Sorry to say it, but I don't think anyone really wants to start over but you Chad. A double-dip here or there is one thing, but no one is going to go for 360 of them. There were a number of people unhappy because a handful of wartime Donald Ducks were double-dipped for his chronological volume. And that was a set that nonetheless still managed to include his entire output for those years.

Personally, I think they should retool the GC model. Maintain the standards of that series, of course, but issue them in limited editions. Economize them if need be (i.e. fewer discs, fewer bonuses), but do it smartly so what most view as requisite - fully restored cartoons on pressed DVD - is not sacrificed.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by DeWilson /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4/30#post_3628016
Better this way on pressed DVD than thrown into the Archive! :)
If they're unrestored, does it really matter what kind of disc they're on?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What's restoration have to do with the type of disc they're produced on?
If it's something I want to buy, restored or unrestored, I'd always prefer pressed disc when given the choice. I'd rather have a pressed DVD for longevity than a DVD-r that can sometimes have a a very questionable lifespan, especially from certain manufacturers, and can be more picky about the player they're being used on (I've had DVD-r's that will play on one DVD player that won't on another, despite both being able to play back the medium, I've never had that happen with pressed disc).
No doubt though that I'd much more prefer restored animation and likely wouldn't purchase something if it was unrestored on DVD-r's.
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're unrestored, does it really matter what kind of disc they're on?

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt /forum/thread/288885/jerry-beck-on-stu-s-show-tommorrow-at-4/30#post_3628121
Economize them if need be (i.e. fewer discs, fewer bonuses), but do it smartly so what most view as requisite - fully restored cartoons on pressed DVD - is not sacrificed.
Commercial DVDs should always be pressed. I'm saying unrestored LTs are unacceptable on any kind of disc.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
I've collected all six of the Golden Collections so far and anxiously look forward to more Looney Tunes being released. I see no problem with them being released as single disc collections because each of the 4 discs in the GC's were typically devoted to an individual character or character team/director/theme anyway, so it's no different than breaking a GC into single disc releases. If WB thinks they'll sell better as individual $14.99 discs released at a rate of (hopefully) 4 per year, rather than one $60 set, I say they're probably right. As long as they don't start double dipping and don't try to get away with not remastering them, I say bring on the individual disc releases! I don't see how the integrity of the Looney Tunes will be compromised as single disc releases rather than 4-disc collections. Jerry Beck sounded genuinely excited about these releases so I trust that WB will do a respectable job with them, more because I trust Jerry than WB.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I suppose this is confirmation:
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"Late last night I got an e-mail from Warner Home Video announcing the first two single-disc Looney Tunes collections that are coming to DVD. The series will be called "Looney Tunes Super Stars" and the first two volumes will be released April 6.
There was very little new information that we didn't already know. The first two volumes will focus on Bugs and Daffy--titled "Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire" and "Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl," respectively. The promo blurb promised fifteen new-to-DVD shorts per discs and that they will all be "Completely Remastered! Wow!" (their wording)...again, nothing we didn't know, but still nice to see some official word from the studio."[/COLOR]
http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/showthread.php?t=14221

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck returned to Stu's show last night. Here are the highlights, gathered from GoldenAgeCartoons:

- The first two LT SuperStars were delayed due to an initial lack/slacking off (DVNR) in remastering
- One of the next SuperStars discs will feature Foghorn Leghorn
- There will be no Walt Disney Treasures this year
- There will be no more Popeye (at least for now)
- There will be no more Woody Woodpecker (at least for now)
- WB may consider a second DVD set of Huckleberry Hound to tie in with the live-action Yogi Bear movie

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt. Any details on why Popeye has been abandoned? Did the initial sets all sell that badly or are other factors at play? This is obviously very disappointing to those of us who were buying those releases.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I just collected what was said over there and summarized it here. Not too many details were offered about anything, but I would guess the economy is chiefly responsible for all these absences. Hopefully they'll return to Popeye at some point. I'd really like to see that series finished too.

Also, to clarify about the LTs: the word is that WB initially remastered only some of the films, with the "lucky" ones being DVNR'd. So it appears they're going back to do everything correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread