What's new

Jericho Season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
When Heather was brought into Hawkins' confidence, it was a simple scene, but the tension was amazingly high. Most portrayals of this kind of thing are done in such a cavalier fashion without any acknowledgement of the utter hopelessness that makes such encounters necessary. But the dynamics of Hawkins and Heather deciding whether they could trust each other was brilliantly and simply scripted, and the actors are to be commended for pulling it off so well.

And when Heather did the deed, she didn't look like she was "sneaking around". She looked honestly and truly scared and conflicted. It was a really nice and realistic departure from the "I'm duplicitous; see my smirk?" portrayal that usually (and sickeningly) characterizes such scenes.

Hawkins' manipulation of Major Beck so that he would unwittingly discover Valente's involvement in the conspiracy was rewardingly clever. Elements like this make me especially glad that I've stuck by this show.

But what house did Hawkins burn down? And whose body was in the ashes? Did Hawkins kill someone to pull this off, or iwas there a body handy that I don't remember?

The weight of the world is on Hawkins' shoulders, and that burden is conveyed to the viewer to an extraordinary degree.

And now Hawkins has help from what appears to be an inside man who seems to be genuinely trustworthy. I'm glad the writers give us gratifyingly steady progress on Hawkins' mission instead of stringing us along with unending mystery. (I won't name any names here. :)) I honestly can't think of a way they could make his story more riveting or more compelling.

And then there's Bonnie. When Tish invited her to go to Cheyenne, I thought it was a plot device to get Bonnie off the show for the rest of the season for "production" reasons. But I never expected this. Poor Bonnie. I do wonder now if Tish will become Ravenwood's newest worst bureaucratic nightmare. She befriended both Bonnie and Mimi, seems clever enough to put two and two together, and seems willing to step up to do the right thing.

I know the heartbreaking ending eclipsed Hawkins' story, but I couldn't let the remarkable developments in Hawkins' story go without comment.

Again, best episode to date!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also felt this was the best episode of the season. I suspected that Bonnie was going to be killed, espacially since she was going to leave for Cheyenne, anyway. The trailer for this episode also mentioned something about not missing the last three minutes of the episode. For once it wasn't an empty promise.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
One more thing: Heather is smart. I don't know how much Jake and Robert ultimately told her, but I have no doubt she's figured out from the type of data she's nicked that Jake and Robert are hiding a nuke. With that knowledge, the conflict she's enduring must be unbearable.

And with Heather back from the dead, why is Jake still hanging with Emily? Heather's a Golden-Rule kinda babe, which is SO much more attractive than a Whiney-Hiney Babe. If I were Jake, I'd be all over Heather like a duck on a June bug.

I think I've got a pretty good idea how the season will end, either way (cliffhanger or resolution). But my track record isn't good with such guesses, so I'll just wait and see.

I never thought I'd say this, but Jericho is even better than BSG. :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

While I respect your opinion, I must disagree (although I love Jericho). The two, to me, aren't even on the same level.

I certainly hope we see a season 3, and beyond.

cheers!

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I agree this was clearly the best episode (so far) of the season. They set up the ending so perfectly leaving the viewer with no clear idea how it would play out.

The acting has clearly been stepped up several notches. Heather looks to be a central character going forward, and I am glad. However, I do have a special place in my heart for 'Whiney-Hiney Babe" - by the way, when did she ever whine?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
It's probably a coincidence but I noticed in the closing phone call from the unknown informant that his voice cadence was similar to that of Major Beck's.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I was thinking the same thing, Garrett.

I enjoyed the episode, but with everything else going on that the new government has to contend with, it seems to me that it would take an awfully long time for those at the top to deal with a paltry accounting discrepancy of $10,000. That somehow didn't ring true. I honestly think whoever was responsible for it would/could be long gone before they figured it out. Otherwise, this episode held my attention throughout.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I may need to rethink that. BSG was the best show ever for me. After BSG's "Exodus Part 2", I would have cut off my left arm to keep BSG production going. But after their interminable PugilistPsychoBabbleLoveNinjaQuadrangleLALawFest followed by their OMGWEGOTTOOMUCHPLOTDEVELOPMENTANDONLYTWOEPSLEFT!, I don't think I'd even shave my beard to keep production going. I'm really looking forward to BSG's fourth season, and I'm sure I'll be re-evaluating body parts once I get back into it, but for now, the BSG thrill is gone. The long break doesn't help, either, to be truthful. (And neither does Bob Dylan. ;))

And I haven't always felt this way about Jericho. During the first half of the first season, I was one of the show's most outspoken critics on this forum. BSG has jumped the shark for me, whereas Jericho just keeps getting better and better.

I really, really like shows that keep getting better and better.

-----------------------

I watched the ending of "Oversight" again, and the gunshots heard at the end when Goetz entered were: handgun, shotgun, handgun. So Bonnie didn't get the final shot in as speculated earlier.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I agree with Brian: but only because "Jericho" has improved SO much — and the episodes leading up to the last "Battlestar..." season finale were mediocre by the show's standards.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it mattered to Sweeney's character that fishing out lost money would be low on the list. I think the whole point is that he's trying to position himself as the complete rule of authority, and he wants to make sure it's very clear to everyone that Rex Lex (the King is the Law) is now in full effect. Whether or not it even mattered to the new government was meaningless; the fact that this woman was willing to throw accusations at him thinking it would mean something... that had to be stopped. He is the law, and that's all there is to it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This was posted over on the CBS Jericho board:
Jericho did a 3.9 and 4.0 for the half-hours, with just under 6 million viewers....down from nearly 7 million last week. OK, but not great. But knowing the Jericho audience, that number should significantly skyrocket once the iTunes, DVR, and CBS.com download numbers come in.

And there were the presidential primaries in Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island, and Vermont last night, which caused preemptions. But still, for CBS, these raw hourly viewership numbers aren't the best, and it's probable that they're going to let another network pick it up for Season 3.

Gah...I'm being incredibly pessimistic, but (A) after what happened last year, when Jericho rightly should have gotten renewal (but didn't), and (B)
*** Political Statement removed by the Administration of the HTF. Read the rules please. ***

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Considering the alternatives right now seem to be either A) CBS picking up the show for next season, however unlikely that may be or B) another network picking up the show for next season, I don't think that's pessimistic at all.

And I for one am glad that things happened the way they did. There wouldn't be nearly the same buzz around the show if it hadn't been cancelled, and this tight seven-episode season is jampacked in a way that no 22 episode season ever could have been. I'm much happier with 7 great episodes than 22 decent episodes with a few gems scattered throughout.

If I were CBS, I would keep the show on seven episode seasons that could be brought in perpetually at midseason to plug holes in the schedule.

This is a show that could thrive on short seasons.

*** Political Statement removed by the Administration of the HTF. Read the rules please. ***

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
O.K. I'll say this once. The only "politics" that we will allow on this board, and in this thread, are the mythical politics of Jericho. Please keep your comments to the states east and west of the "blue line" and the role that "Texas" will play in the last few episodes of this (now) great drama. Little jibes about any real politics will not be tolerated as per the HTF forum rules and will be dealt with swiftly and transgressors will be looking in from the outside.

We now return you to the world of Jericho....

The Management.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My apologies. I thought my response was carefully worded enough to be inoffensive to anyone. I will steer clear altogether moving forward.

In other news:
10th's exploits inspire 'Jericho' writers

The local paper for Fort Drum ran a nice piece on the portrayal of the 10th Mountain Division in "Jericho." Interestingly enough, the storyline for "Jericho" didn't meet Department of Defense standards for military portrayal, so the DOD hasn't provided any assistance in the show's production. For the same reason, they were unable to use the actual 10th Mountain Division patch and got as close as possible by just inverting the colors. One of the writers on the show, Steve Scaia, told the paper that distinction might play into future episodes: ie. the 10th may have fractured into two, one fighting for the East out of Fort Drum (presumably off-screen with the original flag and the original patch) and the soldiers we see in the show under the Allied government.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Thank you, Adam. I fully understand where you are coming from and I did note that you tried to phrase your response in a way that might not be considered too political. But the problem with that is that even the most innocuous (or carefully thought out) remarks involving politics and religion always seems to escalate exponentially when the die is cast - even in the most innocent way. It often becomes a "he said/she said/why can't I say?" scenario and after many years of dealing with this the administration here decided that a zero tolerance position is the best overall to maintain the level of discussion that we like to think separates the HTF from a lot of the cyber trash talk out there. I know that you understand and can appreciate our take on this.

Moving on...

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! What an episode. Poor Stanley. He's going to want revenge in the worst way.

I'm really enjoying this season and it's frustrating not knowing yet whether this is it for the show or not.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It definitely is frustrating, but the way I'm dealing with it is just to count each episode as gravy. Since the first season finale was supposed to be it, I'm treating these seven episodes as a bonus prize.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Stanley is going to quickly go from "hey, they got me my house back" to "gotta get revenge." Bonnie with the shotgun was pretty impressive. It's too bad she didn't survive.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks