What's new

Jeremiah (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
On March 3rd at 8pm Showtime debut's Jeremiah - J. Michael Straczynski's new series.
The premeire reruns again on March 8th at 10:45 PM after Stargate SG-1 returns. This will be it's weekly slot.
Jeremiah is a story about a plague that wipes out the world's adult population. Anyone not having gone through puberty survives (I suppose it must attack hormonally or something).
The story begins 15 years after the cataclysm in 2021 - the youth have now grown up and are trying to function in what's left of the world. It is my understanding that they've lived primarily on the leftovers of civilization but are coming to a point where they need to build again or they'll have exhausted all of their pre-plague goods.
They've cast Luke Perry as Jeremiah, and Malcolm Jamal Warner as one of his compatriots.
As it's written by J. Michael Straczynski, it's certainly worth taking a look at.
Anyone else planning to watch?

Arkady Kleiner

Auditioning
Anyone else planning to watch?
Most definitely, yes.
It's too bad this is a Showtime exclusive (for now?).
Many people i know won't be able to see it, due to lack of access to the network :frowning:.
Anyone know if Showtime made deals to rerun the show on other networks?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... sounds almost like Girl Who Owned A City (12 years after the end) For those who don't know, GWOAC is an obscure children's book from the 70's which followed a girl through the first 3 years following the exact same catastrophy.
If these show up on Morpheus, I'll d/l them.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
No, I don't think so... As much as I love JMS' writing, SciFi without the Sci just doesn't grab me. I need that oh-so-gratifying technology hook to get interested... this may be the reason I deep-sixed Dark Angel after the pilot episode.
Show me a transporter or move over! :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
UGH. This starts tomorrow night at 8 and runs to 9:30. On HBO, Six Feet Under starts season 2 at 9pm. Only 1 digital cable box :frowning:. I'll have to find the rerun schedule for each.
For someone who doesn't watch _that_ much television, it's infuriating to have 2 of my choices running concurrently.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I caught it tonight. Well I'll stay with it for a few shows but it did'nt really grab me, I'll give Straczinski his props as a story teller his tendency to tell complex storylines, but this one seemed a bit of Mad Max at Thunderdome, even down to the Tina Turner Like character, combined with the Old Roddenberry Chestnut "Genesis II" that had a character on a Post apocolyptic world joining up with a team of undeground scientists to save the world.

My question: If all the adults died, How did these children take over the military complex, and learn to do the things they've done?

Straczinski's got the looser premium cables rules to show boobies and swear, will this add to the storylines? We'll see. A few more eps only.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching it. I like it.

Good looking girls (Theo, Cherysse, Sara and Elizabeth) a couple even bare-breasted (Cherysse) for more than a nanosecond. Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner have an interesting buddy relationship going. The idea that they are going to play hero's saving the world then coming back to Thunder Mountain to resupply pulls at my sappy nature. And let's not forget a cameo by Teryl Rothery.

As for how things happened or how a bunch of kids did this or that... just place it under the same catagory of don't think to hard about it sub-plots... it just is that way.

I look forward to more episodes as well as new Stargate SG-1 episodes starting real soon. Also the new Peter Weller series this summer may be good as well. Don't know yet but so far it's good because I like Peter Weller.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I just remembered a line from the show.
"Cheerleaders for everybody!" as said by Theo
I'll take that over "Drinks for everybody" anyday.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Jeremiah has great potential. I was ready to take the mysterious stranger as some sort of spiritual guide to Jeremiah until he used a walkie talkie. Seems like they've set up some interesting long term story arcs while allowing for one off "save the world one adventure at a time" stories. If done well (like Stargate) one off adventures can make a nice tapestry of a single overall story advancing the characters and the core plot.

Looks like Showtime has me hooked on Fridays for a while now. Stargate SG1/Jeremiah, and then Jeremiah/Odyssey 5.

I just hope JMS can render most of the scripts. One thing I don't understand though: It says created and written by JMS, but BASED on a comic book by someone else. How can JMS have created it if it's based on someone else's concept?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the show. But, I am finding it hard to believe that these kids lasted so long or as sophisticated(I use it loosely). I mean if anyone who had reached puberty died. How old were the oldest survivors, 11,12?? For example Luke Perry knows how to drive? Or the kids at Thunder Mountain. How do they know so much about how things work at the facility. Maybe, I am thinking about it too much. I still liked the show and that is what matters. Although, the thought of my 7 and 4 year old daughters going on without adults freaks me out. ;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Since last Friday's episode was just the Sunday premeire again, I want to remind anyone who's going to be watching that tonight's Jeremiah is the first new episode.

10:45 PM after Stargate.

Mark Wolverton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really hoping this gets better. I really like JMS. I thought babylon 5 was great and I can't wait to collect it on DVD. Granted there has been a bunch of new, good shows of late. But, we can never have too many good shows.

Jeremiah certainly has potential though, I thought the pilot was a little weak. I love Sci-Fi and want to see more shows on TV. I just hope they can go somewhere with this story line.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I thought it was pretty good. TiVo recorded it last week, and I just saved it for last night. It certainly has potential. It's another season pass added to TiVo for me.
I'm addicted to these Premium TV shows. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Queer as Folk, Sex in the City, Going to California, Oz...and so on. My only fear is if STARZ starts to get a good one on, then I'll have to subscribe to yet another channel. :eek:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Trace,

I'm afraid Going to California was cancelled alongside Leap Years a few months ago. At least that's what I think I read.

Premium cablers are introducing shows more frequently now it seems.

Showtime now has 2 "10 sharp" shows on Sunday (Queer as Folk and The Chris Isaak Show) and 2 "10 sharp" shows on Friday (Stargate SG-1 and Jeremiah).

My guess is that Odyssey 5 will take Stargate's place in mid-to-late May... or Jeremiah will run at 10 and Odyssey at 10:45.

I haven't paid much attention to their plans for Tuesday - Thursday or Saturday, but I imagine there is a lot in development.

HBO on the other hand seems to run everything of consequence on Sunday nights.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I'm not dissapointed by Leap Years. I always thought it was pretty lame. :thumbsdown:
But, even though it took some time, Going To California, kind of grew on me after a while. I figured they just will have a years hiatus, come back and finish the trek. If they cancelled it, that's bad, because the last episode they were only in Texas...half way there. Even if it's only 2 seasons, I would at least be happy that Space and Ungalow can get to California, and find their friend. Everything was also left up in the air...about Space's girlfriend being pregnent, etc.:frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Trace -

On the Showtime site you can sign up to ask questions and have them answerred - either with automated question matching (which tends to be dead on) or by submission. While looking for information on their new network, I came across the fact that GTC is no longer being produced and that further episodes will not be made. I never watched the series, but you might want to let them know that you do if you want to see it conclude.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Thanks for the info John. That's dissapointing, but it's not like they didn't cancel shows that I liked in the past without plot resolutions...Key West, Battlestar Galactica (even though that other series supposedly resolved it, I still go with the belief that they never found Earth).
Lats night's episode was a BH-90210 reunion, with Jason Priestly as the heavy. I wonder if they'll recycle the other regulars as guests on this show....I'll have to skip the one that Tori Spelling guests on.:laugh:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Jason Priestley's bit was amusing. He was a fairly beleivable psychopath. I'll be happy enough if they avoid the rest of the BH90210 cast.

Seems like they are already planning the second-run syndication for Jeremiah. Like Stargate - a bit of nudity in the premeire episode and none since - particularly in the scene with Jason and his wife. I imagine they'll do a second run deal like they did with Stargate.

I have to say that I'm enjoying Stargate more, but I'm still giving Jeremiah a chance. It's certainly better than leap years, but I expect more from JMS. I hope it grows beyond the 2 man A-team plotline.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks