What's new

Jeremiah Season 1 - someone tell me that they're NOT THIS STUPID? (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
ok, I'm probably behind, but I just noticed that season of of Jeremiah is... FULLSCREEN?

Pardon me, but WTF? I saw several eps of season 1 on Showtime HD at a friends house and it was in WIDESCREEN!!

Who are the morons that made this decision???

(what am I saying, are these the same morons that never ran the last 6 episodes of Odyssey 5???)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The DVD is a 4x3 fullscreen video release, for sure.

I've never seen the show, nor do I have Showtime (or even cable/sat). But could this be a situation where it's broadcast in 4x3 to most people, and is only 16x9 to subscribers to the HD version of the channel?

Just something to consider...I may be way off base here.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
For the record, on the non high def channel of showtime, the show indeed was broadcast 4:3. (And the second season appears to be that way too).

Don't know what the more intended ratio is supposed to be though. For that matter, I don't think the first season was even shot HD, but was merely upconverted for the HD channel. (I *think* the second season is indeed shot HD, but glancing over one of the episodes I have on the tivo the standard def channel is still showing them fullscreen).

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
According to a press release I have from Showtime, Jeremiah was not produced and broadcast in high-def until Season 2:

NEW YORK, Oct. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Showtime Networks has renewed JEREMIAH for a second season with 15 additional episodes and has added Sean Astin ("The Lord of the Rings," "Staying Together") to the show, which stars Luke Perry (Beverly Hills, 90210) as "Jeremiah" and Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Malcolm & Eddie) as "Kurdy." The Sci-Fi series from MGM is created for television by sci-fi icon J. Michael Straczynski, creator & executive producer of Babylon 5. It has been an important part of the Sci-Fridays line-up on SHOWTIME along with the network's other new series ODYSSEY 5. The show will go into production October 23, 2002 and will now be produced and aired in high definition television -- HDTV.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Then where did they get the 16:9 (not saying HD) versions that were shown for season 1 on the HD channel (upconvert or not).

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Wouldn't surprise me if the show was filmed on Super35, and was designed to be framed either way. JMS has certainly done this in the past with Babylon 5. Which is considered more correct it's hard to say, barring a comment from JMS, and I don't know that I've seen one on the issue about Jeremiah.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The first season did have a widescreen version as i watched it on Showtime too or beyond a few days after it was shown on Showtime. I have a few of them on tape once i noticed they did it

capt

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can fairly confidently say that Jeremiah is meant to be 16x9. JMS is a strong advocate of having his programs be in 16x9, and the first and second seasons were both shown in 16x9 on the HD band.

Keep in mind that 24 is shown in 4x3 on the standard definition band. This does not make it right, as the DVD sets bear out. Babylon 5 was also never shown in widescreen until sci-fi picked it up. However 4x3 is VERY wrong for this series.

I was thinking about picking up Jeremiah S1 to give it another chance. I'd heard the show had improved, and I've since seen the first 3 seasons of Babylon 5, making me think that Season 1 is a tough one to get through for any JMS series.

However, since it seems that Showtime is about to pull an Odyssey 5 on Jeremiah (2nd season finale after 7 episodes?), and the DVD set is misframed, this one will just have to go on without me.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Well, I wrote Joe last night about this, and this morning in the inbox (does that man ever sleep???) I got this...

(The question was, what's up with the S1 DVD set being put in full frame when it was shot in 16:9??)

Dunno, they're not giving me any info about this at all. After saying I
wouldn't be back for a third season, they totally cut me out of the process.

jms
Perhaps it's time to let the 'powers that be' know we are not amused about this... I was all set to buy this set, but if they're not going to release the 'proper' version, then I'll just keep the DVD-R set I made and wave at them on the way past...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think the powers-that-be already think of this as a hard sell...they are putting a demo disc of Jeremiah into every copy of the new SG-1 set that goes on sale the same day!

Rick P

Supporting Actor
well.. we can always hope for a HDNet showing of season 1 (as we will get Odyssey 5 in Jan)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think the powers-that-be already think of this as a hard sell...they are putting a demo disc of Jeremiah into every copy of the new SG-1 set that goes on sale the same day!
That's a fantastic idea on their part. Too bad it looks like it won't save the show. Showtime has all but officially canned it.

From StudioBrief today (related)

"Theo" and "George" To Team Up

Malcolm-Jamal Warner and Jason Alexander will play co-anchors on a cable-TV sports show in an upcoming comedy pilot for CBS, the Hollywood Reporter reported today (Friday). Both actors have experienced somewhat checkered careers since appearing on top-rated TV sitcoms, Warner in The Cosby Show and Alexander in Seinfeld. Alexander's casting in a role based on Washington Post columnist/ESPN commentator Tony Kornheiser had been announced in early October ("We have the same hair," Kornheiser commented at the time.) Originally titled Shut Up and Listen, the series is now listed as "untitled." The casting of Warner, whose last series, Jeremiah, on the Showtime pay-TV channel was recently canceled, had been widely rumored. "Malcolm came in and owned the room," Regency TV exec Erin Simon Berenson told the Reporter. "He was so sexy and funny and cool, there was no way not to cast him."

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I just got the entire season from Netflix. I'm on the 8 at a time plan. Anyway, I had not seen the show before, and was quite surprised with the quality of the show. And I'm not talking about audio/video quality. I'm talking about the content, and how good of a show it is.

I was VERY disapointed to see that it was foolscreen. Watching the deleted scenes in disc 1, I noticed that every single one of the deleted scenes are in widescreen, and you can clearly tell that widescreen is the intended aspect ratio. Why on earth did they release this in foolscreen?

As much as I love the show, I will NOT buy it, since I am extremely unhappy with the framing. I will however buy it, if they decide to release it in widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks