What's new

Jensen sub producing low rumble without a signal (1 Viewer)

Paul Rehbein

Auditioning
Hello,
I have the Jensen JS-1000 subwoofer which is currently on the blink. A low rumble, distortion type sound is being produced just by turning the power on. The sub is not even connected to my receiver. I know that I did not blow the sub since I do not abuse it but I was curious to know if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this.
Thanks.
Paul

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
Does it do the same rumble when hooked up to you receiver?
what kind of elect. outlet do you have 2 prong or three, try moving to another power outlet in your house. good luck

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
May be a ground loop. Do a search to get an idea if the symptoms match yours. Have you added any equipment or devices that plug into the wall lately? Try plugging the sub in somewhere else...like a different location where the power is known to be clean and grounded. Maybe head over to a local AV shop and let them have a listen. It won't cost you a dime.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
When you say not connected, do you mean that the RCA cable from the sub is not connected to your receiver or do you mean that you have no cable coming from your sub at all? I ask because if you have a cable that would normally be connecting your receiver to your sub but it isn't connected to your receiver and still connected to the sub, you will get a low rumbling noise if the cable end is touching anything. I mean, it could be touching the floor or a part of the receiver, whatever. I would check that out.

Paul Rehbein

Auditioning
There is no cable coming to the sub at all. If I remember correctly(I'm at work), it is a three pronged plug. I did a quick search and read the a 3 to 2 prong adapter may due the trick. I will try that. Also, I am using speaker cable directly to the sub, no RCA cables.

Paul Rehbein

Auditioning
Well....I had this checked out and it supposedly has a bad crossover so considering it only cost $95.00 new, I am not going to spend that much or more to get it fixed. A couple of questions. I have no idea what is involved in repairing these but does anyone know someone in the Detroit area by chance that maybe does electronics repair on the side for some extra bucks. Also, since box is still good and the speaker is still good, is there a site where I can buy only the electrical components (insides) of the sub for a reasonable price(approx. $100).
Thanks.
Paul

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
How old is the sub?

Did you buy it new?

Have you Called or Emailed Jensen?

Their could be a recall, a known problem and regardless of warranty might be replaced free. That is, the amp or possibly a whole new sub may be sent.

Just something to think about. A phone call or email costs little or nothing.

You just never know!

Good luck
Geoff

Paul Rehbein

Auditioning
I emailed Jensen and the bastards will not reply. Can anyone answer my question about websites that sell only the electrical components of a subwoofer. Thanks. Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks