Jem & the Holograms Any News?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dorrie_W, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

This has got to be the most frustrating TV on DVD situation I have experienced as a fan.

First we wait light years for Jem & The Holograms to arrive on DVD. Seasons 1 & 2 arrive I think March 31, 2004 and season 3 part 1 arrives Sept 14th 2004. Two releases in 6 months!

Then suddenly Rhino doesn't have the rights to the show anymore--Sony does so I learned here.

Two years later and not a mention about a release. The original Rhino run of the first releases ran out and people are selling those for ridiculous amounts.

There is only ONE more Jem release for fans to complete the series---Season 3 part 2

Then I heard a rumor Sony was going to re-release Seasons 1, 2 and 3 part 1.

Will we have to wait for all these releases to come out first or will they just give us the Season 3 part 2. Will it ever come out?

If any Jem fans or Sony or TV on DVD people have any news about Jem & The Holograms on DVD please let me know.

Of the over 70 TV on DVD series I own (isnt that ridiculous and to think it all started with buying Whats Happening Season 1 and now I'm hooked on TV on DVD), I am most frustrated with the Jem situation because we were ONE release from completing the series.

Any info would be great, thanks for listening.

FYI, if anyone with connections to the show is reading this, please know there is demand, at Imissthe80s.com and 1980s.bellaonline.com I would safely say this is the show I am asked about most because people were soo close to finishing the show. And I get a ton of mail like "Jem came out on DVD I waited to long to buy it I guess and now it's gone," people want the show!

Thanks

2. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

I feel just as frustrated. And, dammit, I had a FEELING that whoever owned the rights after Rhino, would want to re-release the WHOLE series, rather than help us complete our collection and just give us Season 3, part 2! Which sucks. 'Cause if Sony's re-releases don't sell like gangbusters (because many JEM fans already *have* the first few seasons!) then they could give up the idea and never get around to releasing the eps we're missing! Aaarrgh. Maybe re-releases of season 1-2 *would* sell well, if they were priced more reasonably than Rhino's versions. Those prices are, ahem, truly outrageous.

Sony could also try to get fans to re-purchase the first seasons by including different bonus features and/or packaging the DVDs in a less-scratch-prone way than Rhino did. But who am I kidding? It's Sony. They never put much effort into packaging or extras.

I'm sorry I have no info, but I wanted to post and vent, and help show that yes, there *is* interest in JEM on DVD. I hate Rhino for leaving us in the lurch. And I wish just about any company but Sony had the rights to the show. Sigh.

3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I think that Pizzazz and The Misfits had something to do with it.....

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

The fact that we've been waiting 2 years for the second half of season 3 of "Jem!" is "truly outrageous", and not in a positive way.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If Sony could hand the rights over to sister company Shout! Factory, then maybe we might be able to get something done about it.

5. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so much everyone for responding I don't feel so alone in my frustration [​IMG]

Hopefully we will hear something one day. Shout probably could do a good job I was very pleased with The Electric Company, That Girl, and the Punky Brewster DVD's they released.

Yeah a lot of fans bought the first few seasons, I think it would be **nice** if they released Season 3.2 first or at the same time but the other seasons have been out of print for almost a year now they might re-release those first...**sigh**

On a side note I had an Amazon.com affiliate buy now box with Jem not realizing the set was not regularly for sale. I got this larger than normal commission (probably in the $11-$20 range nothing spectacular) and I saw someone had paid $154 for Jem Seasons 1 & 2 from the Amazon Marketplace explaining my commission.

The fans really want this show and I want legit nice releases to sit on my shelf, I hope they bring on the Stinger episodes and all the episodes I want to see on DVD...

6. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Shout Factory would be ideal! Don't forget the excellent job they did with Freaks & Geeks. [​IMG]

Okay I'm desperate, so I've decided I *would* buy the same eps all over again to help ensure the rest of JEM gets released - 'course I'd be pissed if Sony decided sales weren't good enough and they weren't gonna finish! We *don't* need to be stuck with 2 incomplete sets of the series! Pardon my paranoia, but I'm afraid that's what might happen.

I'd sure feel safer with Shout Factory...if they start releasing a show I believe they're truly committed to it.

Dorrie - yup those Amazon prices are insane. And I thought the DVDs were priced too high when they first came out!

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

a rerelease would be truly outrageous, truly truly truly outrageous [​IMG]

8. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

"We are The Misfits/Our songs are better/We are The Misfits, Misfits- and we're gonna get her!"

Bring back Clash!

See VH1's Behind The Music: Pizzazz- Glam, Guitars, and Guys tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern. This special was made in response to the Emmy-winning E! True Hollywood Story: Jem & the Holograms which aired last November sweeps.

What a great guilty pleasure this show was 20 years back- I've gotta get my hands on some truly outrageous DVDs. Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame!

9. Guido

Guido Stunt Coordinator

Any updates to this? Rumor had it that it was coming, and not a peep!

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

11. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    [​IMG] huh? I don't remember there ever being an E! Truly Hollywood Story on Jem.

12. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

It's a joke. [​IMG]

13. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Since Shout Factory is about to re-release the Transformers Orginal Series do you think they will also get the rights to JEM? and or G.I. Joe?

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    It's a possibility. I wouldn't get too hopeful about the later seasons of G.I. Joe in HD though.