What's new

Jeff Minter is back ... Unity coming to the Gamecube (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
It wasnt that long ago that the Llamas were being talked about on here and now a new Jeff Minter games is on the way!!!

Lionhead Studios and Jeff Minter have today announced that they are collaborating on Unity--a kaleidoscopic shooter in which music will play in an integral part. Gameplay information is sketchy at this time, and today's press release simply describes Unity as a "fabulous journey through a succession of beautiful abstract 3D spaces." From what little we know of the game, it seems that it would perhaps best be compared to UGA's Rez, but given the people involved in its development it's safe to assume that Unity will be nothing if not completely original.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...909614,00.html

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'll say what I said in the Gamecube thread going right now:

Can I give my money over now or do I have to wait for the release?:D

EDIT: Man now I'm in the mood to play Tempest (goes to find Jaguar).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That Jeff was working on a 'Cube game has been a poorly-kept secret for a few months over at the Llamasoft forums. When I was snooping around a while back, Jeff never confirmed anything other than a nextgen console game, but certain clues pretty much eliminated the other two systems.

Nintendo and Lionhead will require substantial playtesting and tweaking. Defender 2K had little playtesting, and T3K was pretty much only tested by Jeff. Minter is a unique (and excellent) coder and designer, and given the proper management, I expect this game to be un-friggin-believable.

I only wish there was a tentative release date.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Minter is a unique (and excellent) coder and designer.
The last of a dying breed - the guy who just goes out and writes a game without a "studio" working on it. This kind of old-school approach is reason enough to be very, very excited.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The last of a dying breed - the guy who just goes out and writes a game without a "studio" working on it.
No, he is most definitely not. There are plenty of people out there working on their own games without the backing of a major publisher or a large team. Jeff is just much more higher profile than them due to his history. There are plenty of people pulling in sizable incomes doing "homebrew" games without the input of EA/Infogrames/Eidos etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks