Jeff Daniels Talks Dumb and Dumberer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Feb 17, 2003.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

from comingsoon.net

To studio executives, capitalizing on a hit movie always seem like a smart move.

The 1994 gross-out comedy Dumb & Dumber grossed $26 million US worldwide and added $64 million in video rentals.

Not bad for a flick that cost $16 million.

That's why we'll be seeing When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb & Dumberer this summer.

"My phone didn't ring, probably because Jim Carrey didn't take any of their calls," says Jeff Daniels, who played Harry to Carrey's Lloyd in the original Dumbfest.

As Daniels also points out, Carrey's $20-million paycheque is greater than the cost of the original film.

"I know they talked to Jim right after the film was such a hit, but even then he was reluctant to do a sequel.

"Even the Farrelly brothers (who wrote and directed the original) are not involved in this one, so even if I had been contacted I'd have declined."

Such a shame these two wont be doing another together.

2. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

So, the Farrelly Bros. arent making this one? Im confused.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I don't think there is much of a connection in terms of crew between the two films. Different casting, different development teams, different writers. The director has mainly done comedy related TV stuff, but he has been involved with the Mr. Show team on some of their projects.

However, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. But, given the Farrelly's performance since Mary, I don't know if we would have been much better off with them at the wheel (not a fan of their current work).

4. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

This one is Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd. Chronologically this movie takes place in the past so wouldn't the actors have to be much younger? That is why you wouldn't use Jeff Daniels or Jim carrey. But just to add I would love to see another movie with those 2 in it. The first one was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I think you meant that it grossed $127 million in the US and a $119 million international.

Carrey was paid $10m for the first one and I'm sure they could have flipped the bill for the second if Carrey was so inclined. I wish he was too because this is one of my favorite movies of all time, and definately Carrey's best.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the prequel.

6. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

So Carrey and Daniels arent even in the movie? Sucks! I aint seein it. Thats the reason they didnt show any footage in the teaser.

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Its surprising to me that someone around HTF still didn't know that Carrey/Daniels weren't involved. Just think what that means to the general public.

I think they are playing a dangerous game in hiding this fact because the backlash could undermine the film if it is actually good. People might not react well to being "tricked".

And I could be wrong, but I think the idea to go with them as kids might have stemmed explicitly from the fact that they weren't going to have the original stars anyway. If you make them kids then you have an excuse at least.

8. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator