Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners - Ever have this type of Transmission Problem?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeanR, Sep 24, 2004.

1. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L with 127K miles on it. I changed my tranny fluid about 4K miles ago. Recently, I went to a football game and I was in traffic for 2 hours. As I was nearing the stadium the traffic started moving. The tranny was winding out going into 3rd gear or overdrive and it didn't click into the next gear until I was going about 50. This has happened about 2 or 3 times since after I have driven lets say 30 miles on the highway and I take an exit and the tranny has to start shifting again. When the car is cold it shifts like a champ. I had my mechanic look at it and he told me there was a leak between the transfer case and the tranny, the gasket has to be replace to the tune of $350.00. I have had to put in fluid a couple times since the fluid change. The question I have is am I wasting my money here if I make this repair. Does anybody have an experience similar to this? I don't want to spend $350.00 now and then in 3 months have to do a bigger job also. Is this $350.00 repair worth it or is the tranny on the way out and I should live with it until it gets so bad I have to replace the whole thing? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

I'd have your input/output speed sensor checked out. u can do this ur self or have the dealer do it. My 99 wj has this problem and it's a common problem with higher mileage grands. Also check out jeepsunlimited.com-grand cherokee forum and do a search for speed sensor. Im 90% sure that will fix your problem. The part is about $25 but the labor is what will get you. Look to spend about $300 at the dealer, but if u go that route make sure they replace BOTH input and output speed sensors.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out

3. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Neeraj, thanks for your great input. The sensor possibility makes a lot of sense because if the tranny was bad it would not shift well period all the time. I'll check out that website. I'll report back in the next couple of weeks.`

4. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Another quick and inexpensive thing you can try is a transmission additive. If it's something sticking in the tranny it may just help. It's a 1/1000 shot but it doesn't cost much. I once had a tranny that would slip in reverse. Drove me nuts, my mechanic, when he was changing the fluid, asked if I wanted to try running an additive through it. Damn additive worked. Don't remember the particular brand.

5. JasonF

JasonF Agent

I wouldn't try any additives. Chrysler products are very sensitive to trans fluid. They only use Mopar only ATF+4. I would definitely try the input and output sensors. They only sell for $20 each, at least thats what I sell them for. As far as your trans leak that is very common also. There is actually two seals there. One on the trans and one on the T/case. Good luck. Jason