Jedi Outcast: Anyone Pick This Up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Sytsma, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    IGN gives the XBox a decent 8.8. The Gamecube version scores lower due to persistent framerate problems.

Anyone seen copies of this yet?

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

The PC version was decent, but I'm not sure how faithful a port they did. I'm very surprised that the GC version had framerate issues, given that every game I've played on it so far has been a solid 60fps (including Timesplitters2, Metroid Prime, and 007: Nightfire). That sounds like lazy/sloppy programming, like in the case of the X-Box MGS2 port

edit: gamespot says it's an exact port of the PC version, and that both X-Box (8.3) and GC (8.2) versions suffer from occasional slowdowns.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I was thinking about getting it as my Mac won't cut the mustard anymore in terms of gaming(I blame my ATI Rage 128 Pro video card more than anything) but after seeing the poor review the cube version got I might just rent this one.

4. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Why do people consider 8.0 - 8.5 poor? Must every game be a 9.X?

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

David Glenn,

You are right on the dot.

6. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I was under the impression that part of the "low" score (can you hear the sarcasm?) was because of the slow pace of the first few levels. And they're right...the game doesn't really get good until a few levels into it.

I beat the PC Version, and man, it was loads of fun. I highly recommend this game to anyone who's never played it.

Nothing beats the Force Choke - saber throw - decapitation move.

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

While the overall score was good it did pretty poorly in the graphics department(only got a 7 or so if IIRC). I think perhaps i'll give it a rent over my thanksgiving break

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The PC version is fantastic, tho I do agree with everyone that they needed to shorter the pre-lightsaber parts [​IMG]

9. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

The game is overall very fun, but like everyone else says, after you get the lightsaber. The force powers really make you feel like a Jedi - nothing like force pushing troopers to their death [​IMG]
    There are also minor annoyances like the obligatory stealth level, jumping puzzles, and little critter shooting.
    (Why must FPS games have little critters like bugs and bats to shoot at? The only game that made sense to have little critters was Half-Life. When I first saw the two "assassin" worms in Episode 2, I kinda groaned because you know in the next SW FPS shooter, you'll see hoards of those assassin worms charging at you. [​IMG] )

10. JamesL

JamesL Agent

can anyone confirm that Jedi Outcast for the Xbox is 480P compatible?

11. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Picked this up last night. I'm still in the early, pre-lightsaber, stages but it's quite fun blasting away at Stormies. Anyone play a 14 bot deathmatch? Talk about wild! [​IMG] Seeing Mon Mothma get busy with force lightning and a lightsaber is too funny. Between this and Splinter Cell, I'll be a happy camper for a while.
    According to my set (Mits 46807) it is indeed in 480p.

12. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I wasn't happy with the PC version. Too many puzzles. I stopped playing when I had to walk back and forth between two rooms to arrange columns so I could jump to a window, Eh! just let me fight somebody instead of making the game artificially longer.

The reason I want the game to get 9+ is they cost $50! If they want to charge that much, it better be good. I also think IGN and Gamespot score the 9+ so frequently that it has gotten diluted and if a game doesn't get a 9+, it probably has a major weakness.

Doug

13. Derek.Dixon

Derek.Dixon Agent

Can anyone verify this is 16:9 or widescreen? Leroy I have the same as you, you verified the 480p now how about that 16:9 does the game appear to be streched to you? Also include your findings on the official thread we would all appreciate it. [​IMG]

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The PC version is great. Since I have that I don't think I'll be getting the GC or XB version though. To much other stuff out or coming out soon.

15. Derek.Dixon

Derek.Dixon Agent

480p-yes
    16:9-no
    Dolby Digital 5.1-yes

How is this game? Well having never played the pc version I have no idea how it compares but on it's own merits there are some big framerate issues, graphics are pretty dark at alot of parts, targeting is pretty hard it has an auto level that messes up my aim so I turned it off a little better, now the multi-player or two player I should say is decent we played with weapons off and all lightsabers on team ffa and even with 10 characters onscreen slashing each other framerate was ok it did drop quite a bit though, as for the sound one small complaint on the dolby digital it wasn't quite as smooth as it should of been, as your veiw shifts from right to left and so on the noise wouldn't transition smoothly but would go sharply and abruptly from rear to rear to front not smooth as if you were in the middle of a true sound field, but still definitely alot of sound coming from everywhere and from the right perspectives onscreen, other than these things and if the sight of a stormtrooper with a lightsaber or Mon Mothma using force lightning doesn't scar you like it did me at least rent it, I'm gonna return it though I just cant get Darth Stormtrooper outta my head.

16. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

One thing I did hear is that they took out the cool cut scenes from the PC version and replaced them with lower quality ones.

17. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

the online multiplayer on the PC version was great

18. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

A future XBox buy!

19. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

20. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator