What's new

Jedi-Fast Subtitles in SW1? (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere before (and I apologize if it has), but:
Some of the subtitled translations for alien language in TPM are displayed so quickly (visible for just a second or two) you'd think they were meant for Jedi-trained eyes only! This seems to happen most often when the troupe first reaches Tatooine; later in the film, the problem isn't so bad. One of the translations went by so fast I couldn't even read the first word!
Youch.
Of course, I'm talking only about the subtitles that are part of the film, not the subtitles that you turn on with your remote. And it's not the same for every displayed translation. Some are fine, some are quick, and some are just (literally) flashed.
Am I the only one having this problem?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've been watching the LD for so long, I actually forgot there were subtitles.
wink.gif
I'm gonna pick this up in a couple hours when I go to Little Rock. I'll post back tonight and let you know what I think. Cheers!
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I actually like the subs in TPM. I had no trouble reading them (maybe it's because I've seen it 10+ times.
wink.gif
) Unlike other player generated subs, the TPM subs gradually fade out. It's a nice effect, and I hope it's used in future titles.

The sub-titles are as quick as closed captioning... as a rule-of-thumb, with any kind of on-screen title, you should be able to read through them twice before they disappear... learned that in my days directing TV news!

Shad R

Supporting Actor
They are BELOW the widescreen picutre on mine, not on the picture. How does it work if you have a 16x9 TV?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I'm talking only about the subtitles that are part of the film, not the subtitles that you turn on with your remote.
Actually, all the subtitles on this disk are player generated. If you use the subtitle button on your remote you will see that the subs to translate alien language are ENG1 and the subs for the rest of the movie are ENG2. I discovered this after turning on the subs to make out some dialogue on the extended pod race and when I was through I had accidentally turned both off.
blush.gif
When I got to the Anakin-Greedo fight scene my buddy said "How come there isn't a translation there?"
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Alan, I noticed it too. A glitch maybe?
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Leroy

Second Unit
I can't see the alien language or commentary track subtitles at all. I'm using a JVC GD723 player progressive scan into a Mits 16X9 set. I can get English sub track for all the dialog, but not the others. I can see that there are four sub tracks, 3 English and 1 Spanish.
Do I have a possible defect?
[Edited last by Leroy on October 16, 2001 at 11:31 PM]

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I had problems as well. I have a Toshiba 3109 (which is notorious for not accepting these gimmicky kinds of subtitles) and didn't even see them until I fiddled with the subs ettings and finally got alien languages. After the layer change, everything reset and I had to manually activate them again.

The first lot were fine here but just before the pod race there were none, follwed by lightning flashes of words - time to check out the ENG 1 and ENG 2 thing by the look of it.
Christine

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, try as I might I could not get the alien or commentary subs to work. Only the main subtitle track works (the one for all the dialog)works. Also, I can't seem to get any other menu than the Tatooine one. I haven't tried the manual select trick, but I get nothing but Tatooine nor do I get any of Watto warnings that are supposed to come on when the menu is idle for a time.

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. This is my first post. I am having subtitle problems on PHANTOM MENACE. On my Toshiba SD2700, they are just fine. But on my Toshiba SD1600, they either flash too quickly, or not at all.
Is this due to the fade in and fade out method? Perhaps the subtitles are too advanced for some players to handle?
Thanks
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Robert_V

Agent
I have a Toshiba 3109, and the first time I played SWI, the subtitles went by super-quick. The next time I played the flick, the subtitles faded in and out beautifully!
Go Figure?!?!
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks